Recycling Center

Say goodbye to sorting! Effective July 1, 2011, paper, bottles, cans and cardboard recycling can be placed in the same recycling bins. Known as "single stream recycling" SCSU has joined efforts in changing the recycling system to collect common recyclables in the same bin. Recycling bins across campus received new labels announcing the types of commodities that can be recycled. Label replacement has occurred since then, however some bins may still be labeled "paper" or "bottles, cans, and plastics". Campus community members can still place recyclables in either bin.

There are also locations across campus, such as in the residence halls and in the Engelman rotunda, for regulated wastes (e.g. batteries, ink cartridges). The Recycling Center also holds an annual e-waste (electronic waste) collection drive.

What is Recyclable

Bottles and Cans

Mixed Paper


What about my other items?

Batteries are considered regulated waste and should not be disposed of in the trash. Battery disposal is located on the ground floor of Facilities Operations, Engleman rotunda, and in all of the lobbies of the residence halls among other locations.

Cell Phones
Personal cell phones are donated to Domestic Violence Services of Greater New Haven. Cell phones and chargers can be dropped off at the Women's Center in Schwartz Hall or to the Michael J. Adanti Student Center Information Lobby collection box, or in a resident hall collection box. For additional information, please call the Women's Center at (203) 392-6946.

University owned cell phones should be brought to the Office of Information Technology Help Desk where they will be reused by another employee or recycled. For more information, contact the Help Desk at (203) 392-5123.

Goodwill Industries collection boxes are located around the residence halls during the week of move out in both the fall and spring semester. Gently used clothing, shoes and household items can be placed into the container. For more information about Goodwill Industries, go to

Ink and Toner Cartridges
Place ink and toner cartridges in original packaging. Small containers can be dropped in collection boxes in Wintergreen, Engelman rotunda, or residence halls. Large inks can be given to Facilities Operations delivery personnel.

Light Bulbs
To dispose of unbroken fluorescent light bulbs, give them to a custodian for proper disposal or place them in the collection boxes as located above. Students in residence halls can dispose of their compact fluorescent bulbs in the CFL container located in their lobby.

A scrap metal container is located behind Facilities Operation. If your office has metal items in need of disposal, contact Heather Stearns, Recycling Coordinator.