Hello, I am Dennis Reiman, Associate CIO at Southern. I hope that you had a great summer and are looking forward to the start of the Fall Term. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new and returning students; best of luck as you pursue your academic goals.
Over the past year, the Information Technology team has made significant progress to improve the technology experience for those in the Southern community. Some of the key projects include:
- Upgrades to learning spaces (classrooms) as part of a continuing effort to provide modern and compelling teaching and learning environments. Fifty-one have been completed over the past two years.
- Completion of the first phase of the “website reconceptualization” project. In this phase, the public website was enhanced with a responsive design that optimizes the experience on desktop and mobile devices.
- Replacement of the entire wireless infrastructure to provide faster and more ubiquitous access.
- The addition of Eduroam service to our wireless network, increasing student, faculty, and staff access throughout the global Eduroam network (US Institutions map).
- Implementation of the Blackboard Help Desk services providing 7x24 access to technology support.
- Implementation of the Next Gen Web Solutions’ Scholarship Manager to increase student access to scholarship opportunities.
- The addition of applications to SailPoint (https://login.southernct.edu) for an easier login experience using single sign-on.
Projects scheduled for completion over the next year include:
- The release of a redesigned public website with enhanced navigation.
- The migration of Banner to the Cloud (scheduled for completion in November). This is the first step in providing a modernized ERP interface. Further detail will be provided at a later date.
- Expansion and upgrades to the wireless coverage umbrella.
- Modernization, right-sizing, and relocation of the university data center to the Buley Library.
- Implementation of a modern reporting and dashboard solution to support data-based decision making and analysis.
Dr. Rob Rennie, VP, Technology & CIO recently announced that he will be retiring in December. During his tenure at Southern, the Information Technology team has implemented many major technology initiatives to improve the experience for students, faculty, and staff. Below are just a few of the major initiatives:
- Replaced the entire network infrastructure including wireless and phones.
- Increased intranet and internet bandwidth and speed.
- Upgraded learning spaces (classrooms) with modern technology.
- Implemented governance structures for administrative and academic technology.
- Implemented a federated ID platform supporting single sign-on for access to enterprise applications.
Though Rob will be leaving in December, it is my intent to continue on our current course of having operational and support excellence with the primary emphasis on improving the student and faculty technology experience.
If you have any questions, concerns, or want to share your views, please feel free to reach out to us through the Help Desk, we really need your input. Happy computing.