Hello, I am Dennis Reiman, Vice President, Technology and CIO at Southern. I hope that you had a great winter break and are looking forward to the start of the Spring Term. I would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new and returning students; best of luck as you pursue your academic goals.
Over the past year, the Information Technology team has made significant progress to improve the technology experience for those in the Southern community. Some of the key projects include:• Upgrades to learning spaces (classrooms) as part of a continuing effort to provide modern and compelling teaching and learning environments. Fifty-one have been completed over the past two years.
- Completion of the initial phases of the “website reconceptualization” project. In the first phase, the public website was enhanced with a responsive design that optimizes the experience on desktop and mobile devices. The second phase included the redesign of the public website with enhanced navigation.
- Replacement of the entire wireless infrastructure to provide faster and more ubiquitous access.
- The addition of Eduroam service to our wireless network, increasing student, faculty, and staff access throughout the global Eduroam network (US Institutions map).
- Implementation of the Blackboard Help Desk services providing 7x24 access to technology support.
- Implementation of the Next Gen Web Solutions’ Scholarship Manager to increase student access to scholarship opportunities.
- The addition of applications to SailPoint (https://login.southernct.edu) for an easier login experience using single sign-on.
- The migration of Banner to the Cloud. This is the first step in providing a modernized ERP interface.
Projects scheduled for completion over the next year include:
- Expansion and upgrades to the wireless coverage umbrella.
- Modernization, right-sizing, and relocation of the university data center to the Buley Library.
- Implementation of a modern reporting and dashboard solution to support data-based decision making and analysis.
If you have any questions, concerns, or want to share your views, please feel free to reach out to us through the Help Desk, we really need your input. Happy computing.