Learning Technologies Governance (LTEC GOV)
This charter establishes a university-wide governance framework for the management of learning technologies.
Learning technologies include all classrooms and/or labs; and faculty related hardware, software, and audio visual technologies; and related services. This charter defines the mechanism for faculty, Deans, and IT staff to work collaboratively to make decisions, establish priorities for resource utilization/assignment, and establish consistent practices in the development, maintenance, operation, and enhancement of the university's learning technologies and environment.
This charter calls for two (2) committees to manage governance.
- The Executive Committee (LTEC EXEC) is comprised of the chair of the university's faculty senate technology committee: the Provost; VP, Student Affairs; VP, Technology/CIO; and EVP, Administrative Services.
- The Governance Committee (LTEC GOV) members are appointed by the Provost; VP, Student
Affairs; Faculty Senate President; and Administrative Faculty President. Composition
of member appointments:
- 1 faculty from each school - 4 total (appointed by Faculty Senate President)
- 1 faculty from the graduate school (appointed by Graduate Council President)
- 1 faculty from the Library Faculty (appointed by Library Faculty)
- 1 faculty from the Administrative Faculty (appointed by Admin Faculty Senate President)
- 2 Deans (appointed by Provost)
- 1 ad-hoc from Academic Affairs (appointed by Provost)
- 1 ad-hoc from Student Affairs (appointed by the VP, Student Affairs)
- 1 ad-hoc from Disability Resource Center (appointed by the VP, Student Affairs)
The Learning Technologies Governance Committee has two decision-making methods to conduct business.
- For expediency and collegiality, the committee may use consensus.
- When requested by a committee member, formal voting and operational procedures may be used to make decisions and conduct business. Only appointed committee members hold voting rights. Each committee member gets one vote.
The Director-IS, Technology Administration will facilitate the Learning Technology Governance Committee meetings and will include additional IT representatives as needed. IT does not have voting privileges.
Committee Meetings, Roles, and Duties
The Learning Technologies Executive Committee meets on an as-needed basis but must meet at least semi-annually. During these meetings the Executive Committee will:
- Formulate directions necessary to guide the committee’s work.
- Determine any structural or membership changes to the governance process although anyone may attend.
- Review updates and reports provided by the committee.
- Address and resolve any impasses.
- Conduct other business as necessary to ensure effective executive governance.
The Learning Technologies Governance Committee meets at least quarterly. During these meetings the committee will:
- Execute the governance processes it adopts as a LTEC GOV committee and amends/documents in the charter.
- Review requests and status updates.
- Approve meeting minutes.
- Deliberate and discuss requests and updates for prioritization.
- Prioritize requests and projects. Only committee members may vote in the prioritization process.
- Produce updates and reports on the committee’s work for the Executive Committee.
- Develop a common practice for planning Learning Technologies upgrades, new technology adoption, and the acquisition of technology (including software).
- Adopt processes supporting federa, state, and local regulations and ensure that accessibility of technology was considered during the proposal phase.
- Conduct other business as necessary to provide an effective and efficient learning technologies environment for the university.
Refer to the Learning Technologies Governance Process Overview diagram and the Learning Technologies Governance Committee Work diagram to understand the process. The color of the shape identifies who handles the task and background colors indicate task contributors/facilitators.
It is essential that the work of this committee be conducted in an open and completely transparent manner such that any member of the university community may attend meetings and review work products, decisions, status, and minutes of meetings.
Upcoming LTEC Meetings
Aug 22 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326
Sep 19 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326
Oct 17 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326
Nov 14 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326
Dec 19 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326
Jan 16 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326
Feb 13 @ 9AM Wednesday ASC 326