Procedure and Practices
ACCEPTABLE USE AGREEMENT
This is a summary of what is expected when using Southern Connecticut State University's computer resources and network. For more detail, please refer to the full policy.
- Comply with FERPA, especially when saving and sharing data.
- Protect my SCSU account from unauthorized use:
-Safeguard access credentials (username and password)
-Log off computer when not in use
-Password protect mobile devices
- Respect the confidentiality and privacy of others using SCSU systems.
- Limit personal use of IT resources so that it does not hinder:
- Report any misuse or suspicious activity on computers, network, or other equipment.
I will not...
- Use IT resources to violate any SCSU policy, state, or federal law.
- Appropriate someone else’s access credentials (username and password).
- Attempt to circumvent system security.
IT Maintenance Schedule
Routine maintenance: (regular upgrades & patches)
- Enterprise Applications: Sundays 8 am to 12 PM (noon)
- Systems: Sunday 8 am to 12 PM (noon)
– only if rebooting is required
- Systems: Wednesdays 10 PM to 1 AM
– when rebooting is not required
Non-routine maintenance: (major upgrades, patches, and system changes)
- Every 3 to 5 months
- 5 day window (Friday-Tuesday)
- Intent is to only need Friday when vendor support is anticipated
- May need Saturday & Sunday when vendor support is not anticipated (most common use of maintenance window)
- May also need Monday & Tuesday in rare/dire circumstances when difficulties arise and special support is necessary
- All Applications and systems
- President's Day Weekend (February 20xx ~20th)
- One week before the Friday of Memorial Day weekend (May 20xx ~19th)
- Fiscal Year Switch over (June 30, 20xx to July 01, 20xx)
- Finance items only - This is not for maintenance and has been an established routine for years
- Columbus Day weekend (October 20xx ~10th)
Emergency maintenance: (Waiting for a scheduled maintenance window is not possible. Expected to be used rarely.)
- Must be communicated as soon as possible
- Communicate updates to the SCSU community
- Communicate the results to the SCSU community