Prior to entering the United States
There are some strict regulations you will want to keep in mind prior to your departure for the United States:
- First, F-1 students may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the program start date on the I-20.
- Second, Southern Connecticut State University requires certain immunizations prior to attending classes. Please visit the Granoff Student Health Serviceswebsite for additional information.
- Finally, F-1 students MUST possess the following documents prior to traveling to the U.S. :
- Valid Passport
- Valid U.S. Visa
- Original and current financial statements
A few helpful tips: If you must bring medication, it should be in its original container(s), and you should bring a copy of the prescription(s) with you. In addition, you should keep copies of all original documents listed above, as well as required perscriptions, personal identification cards, and credit cards. Copies are best kept in a separate location from the originals in the event the originals are lost or stolen.
After Arriving in the United States
- F-1 students must report to Assistant Director and F-1 Specialist, Aliya Amin. Not only do our staff members enjoy meeting our international students for the first time, but we are required by federal law to verify that you have legally entered the United States, and to update your status in the SEVIS database.
- Undergraduate students must schedule an appointment with an academic advisor prior to registering for classes (to learn about academic advising, click here).
- After visiting with an academic advisor, international students must register in a full-time course load (a minimum of twelve  credits at Southern Connecticut State University).
- Students must attend the mandatory international student orientation held by the OIE. Students will be notified by email of the date, time, and location after their admission to the university.