Chemistry Department Events
The chemistry department gets together every year for a formal dinner at the end of the academic year to celebrate the accomplishment of our top students, introduce new faculty and staff, and to reflect on the year that passed. This year's repast was held on April 27, Saturday, at the Park Central Tavern in Hamden.
The awards and this year's recipients:
- The Dave Csejka Award recognizes teaching excellence in classroom/lab instruction and acknowledges important contributions to the learning environment by part-time faculty members. The award was created in 2012 and was named after its first recipient. The award this year is given to Dr. Michael Osber.
- The Outstanding Graduate Student Award is given in recognition of academic excellence and overallcontributions to the department. This year's awardees are (a three-way tie): John Bozzuto, Michelle McCabe, and Taha Shikari.
- The Outstanding Senior Student Award is given in recognition of academic excellence and overall contributions to the department. This year's recipient is Kate Taylor.
- The 2013 Undergraduate Awards in Analytical, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry are sponsored by the American Chemical Society, Divisions of Analytical, Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, respectively. The awards recognize students who display an aptitude for a career in the aforementioned fields of Chemistry. The 2013 ACS Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry goes to Lawrence Kastel, while the 2013 ACS Undergraduate Award in Organic Chemistry goes to David Piscitelli, and finally, the 2013 ACS Undergraduate Award in Inorganic Chemistry goes to Sarah Widomski.
- The Harry O. Haakonsen Memorial Award is awarded to a student who honors the optimism, enthusiasm, and love for science of Dr. Haakonsen (1941-1995), former Professor of Chemistry at SCSU. This year's awardee is Evan Turek.
- The Freshmen Chemistry Award is given to the General Chemistry student with outstanding academic performance and potential in the field of Chemistry. This year's award recipient is Megan Iorio.