Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD)
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the International Sociology Honor Society. The organization was founded in 1920 by Dr. Emory Bogardus who wanted an organization that would stimulate scholarship while also promoting an interest in the study of society.
AKD at SCSU is an undergraduate honors society for Sociology majors and minors. Members gather to share scholarship, organize academic events and initiatives, and engage in service projects. If you are interested in joining AKD please contact one of the current faculty advisers noted above or complete the application available in the Sociology Department main office.
Initiation into AKD International occurs during the junior or senior year. Initiates must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program at SCSU.
2. Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of SCSU.
3. Must rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship (i.e. presently this requires an overall GPA of 3.25 on a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0).
4. Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA in sociology courses taken at SCSU prior to initiation.
5. Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (excluding courses graded pass/fail).
Freshman and sophomore students interested in joining AKD may participate in AKD meetings and events but will only become eligible for initiation (and its benefits including AKD International awards and sponsorships) upon meeting the above criteria during their junior or senior year.