Vision, Mission, Goals and Objectives
SCSU's Master of Library and Information Science delivers an innovative graduate education to foster the next generation of diverse library and information professionals as visionary leaders in a rapidly evolving and technologically advanced global environment.
SCSU's Master of Library and Information Science provides a student-centered program combining excellent teaching, leadership, and scholarship for students in Connecticut and beyond. We prepare knowledgeable and ethical library and information professionals for ever-expanding opportunities in a diverse and global information society.
Goals and Objectives:
Goal I: Professional Education
I.A The Program will provide high-quality education that is appropriate at graduate professional and postgraduate levels. The Program will:
- Provide a curriculum that prepares professionals responsive to the field.
- Provide a curriculum that supports clearly defined and diverse career-oriented concentrations.
- Provide a curriculum that fosters dedication to the profession’s principles and ethical practices.
- Provide internships and other connections with the local community and beyond.
- Enrich the curriculum through partnerships with other departments and university entities.
- Provide exemplary and effective advising and mentoring.
- Conduct an ongoing systematic review and evaluation of the program.
- Engage in ongoing professional development.
I.B The Program will provide opportunities to explore and use current and emerging information technologies. The Program will:
- Provide students with state-of-the-art information technology facilities, equipment, services and environments.
- Promote the use of current and emerging library and information technologies in professional education, research, and service activities.
Goal II: Scholarship and Creative Activities
Engage in ongoing scholarship and creative activities in information and library science. The Faculty will:
- Conduct a wide range of research activities.
- Present research, scholarship, and creative activities through local, state, regional, national, and international venues.
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration and engage in research with faculty, students, and practitioners.
Goal III: Leadership and Engagement
Engage within the diverse professional organizations and communities. The Program will:
- Model leadership through participation in professional organizations, service delivery, and community engagement.
- Offer professional development opportunities within and outside the university.
- Connect students to professional organizations and to communities.
- Recruit and retain talented local and global students and faculty.
- Engage alumni and the library community in life-long learning opportunities.
Last Updated January 24, 2015