Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proficiency in contributing to organizational teams;
- Integrate findings into plans and operations of strategic planning, quality improvement planning and professional development in health care arenas;
- Synthesize theories of fundamental organizational implications with particular regard to regulatory requirements specific to the healthcare system;
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication with multidisciplinary members of the healthcare team; understand the complex nature of quality, cost-effective health care delivery;
- Demonstrate the ability to lead health care teams in care planning, bedside decision-making, and collaboration with other healthcare professionals;
- Communicate with patients, families, communities and other health professionals in a responsible and responsive manner that supports a team approach to the maintenance of health treatment of the disease.
Evidence-Based Medicine and Respiratory Care Competencies
- Critique published research; apply evidence-based medicine (EBM) to clinical practice;
- Integrate findings from qualitative and quantitative data;
- Evaluate the use of evidence-based medicine in the development and application of hospital-based respiratory care protocols;
- Demonstrate an ability to collect, manage and organize data to produce information;
- Treat patients in a variety of settings, using the appropriate respiratory care protocols.
Critical Thinking Competencies
- Demonstrate understanding and application of logical reasoning, problem-solving skills, ethics, professionalism and ability to self-reflect; demonstrate competency in the application of problem solving strategies in the patient care setting;
- Integrate the critical thinking domains specific to respiratory care (technology, patients, clinicians) and demonstrate an ability to function within each domain;
- Integrate current and projected trends (e.g., health, fiscal, social, political, environmental) in health care and pulmonary medicine;
- Demonstrate ability to think conceptually and execute planned approaches to care.
Clinical Decision-Making Competencies
- Explain the connections between critical thinking, clinical reasoning, diagnostic reasoning, decision analysis and problems in a variety of health care settings.
- Incorporate interdisciplinary and inter-professional competencies in clinical settings, including systems thinking theories.