"Nursing is an art; and if it is to be made an art it requires as exclusive a devotion, as hard a preparation as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or cold marble compared with having to do with the human body." (Florence Nightingale)
A pre-nursing student is defined as an individual who is admitted to the university, has an interest in pursuing nursing at Southern as a major, meets pre-nursing eligibility requirements, but is not yet admitted to the nursing program at Southern. This page is designed for pre-nursing students interested in the traditional 4 year BSN program.
Acceptance into the nursing program is highly competitive. Qualified students may not be accepted due to program capacity. There are more than 150 pre-nursing students a year who meet the minimum application requirements, but due to limited seats available within the nursing program, only 45-60 students are admitted from those who apply each year.
It is nearly impossible for students who fail to meet the minimum nursing application requirements within their first 24 college credits to be admitted to the traditional BSN program. For this reason, students are exposed to exploring options within their second semester in the event they no longer qualify for pre-nursing advisement after completing at least 24 college credits. Please see the link below for more information on pre-nursing eligibility requirements.
Academic advisement is required prior to registration each semester to ensure students are registering for the correct courses, are familiar with on-campus resources and university policies that pertain to academic success, and understand program requirements, expectations and deadlines. Due to the competitiveness of the program, advisement also includes exploring alternative options.
Since pre-nursing students are not able to declare nursing as a major unless admitted to the nursing program, pre-nursing students will be advised by professional advisors.
If you have any questions, please contact Angela Ruggiero at firstname.lastname@example.org
*If you are not yet a Southern student and would like to schedule an appointment with a transfer student advisor, please contact Academic Advising at 203-392-5367.
For those seeking advisement to assist with fall schedules, we are holding walk-in advisement from 9am-3pm in the Academic Advisement office in the Wintergreen Building, Monday - Friday between August 13 and September 4. Please be prepared to wait, as advisement occurs on a first come, first serve basis.
If you are a prospective student and would like an advising appointment, please contact Academic Advisement at 203-392-5367 to schedule an appointment with one of our transfer advisors.
If you are a continuing pre-nursing student and are interested in a summer advising appointment, please email Angela.
Preparing for Advisement - REQUIRED
- Please come prepared with questions and ready to take notes.
- Please complete the PRE-NURSING WORKSHEET to the best of your ability (EXAMPLE WORKSHEET), you will not be advised without this. Use your degree evaluation (Degree Evaluation Instructions/What-If Degree Evaluation Instructions) to check off requirements already met, and write in the courses you would plan to take next two semesters based on the information provided on the worksheet.
Additional information and resources
Semester by Semester Approach to Pre-Nursing - Pre-nursing Time Frame
Application Information - (There is an update to the application eligibility requirements. Please see the BSN Website to learn how repeating nursing prerequisite courses can impact your nursing application eligibility.) BSN Website
Answers to most of your questions - (We are in the process of updating this for the 2018-2019 academic year) Pre-nursing Handbook
Help Searching for LEP & W Requirements -
TEAS Exam Resources - Additional info can be found in the pre-nursing handbook.
GPA Calculating Tools -
- CUM & PreReq GPA Calculator Instructions - For students who have taken courses elsewhere in addition to Southern AND all who would like to calculate their Prerequisite GPA - CUM & PreReq GPA Calculator
- "How to achieve desired GPA" calculator - A simple calculator to enter your CUM or PreReq GPA into, which will show you the grades required over a number of credits to reach the GPA you are seeking.
Academic Support - Academic Success Center
Grade Replacement - Policy
Taking courses elsewhere during intersessions -
- What is the Process to Take Courses at a Different College During an Intersession?
- How do I Know What Courses from a CT Community College will Transfer?- Last updated 2017
- If you have taken courses or plan to take courses at another college or university within the state of Connecticut, please use the Transfer Articulation Request tool. These are subject to change.
Exploring Options -
- What Are My Options If I Do Not Continue in Pre-Nursing or Get Accepted to the BSN Program?
- How Do I Make a Decision Based on My Current GPA?
- Article explaining general info on various nursing degree options (please note that the BSN program at Southern is highly competitive, experience does not get factored into the admission decision, and repeated pre-req courses are taken into consideration)
- Explore Careers in the Health Industry and the education requirements necessary
- Steps to Choosing a Major
- FOCUS is a self-paced online tool that will help you explore career paths and select the major area of study to support your career goals. Use Access Code "owls" to register your personal account.
- SCSU Undergraduate Catalog - Programs and Degrees
- Contact the departments you have narrowed your search to or a career advisor if you are still uncertain.
The National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA) - is a voluntary organization through which nursing students practice self-governance; advocate for student rights and the rights of patients; and take collective responsible action on vital social and political issues. Learning about joining NSNA.