Main Content

Advising and Registration


Academic Advisement - Who, what, when, where and how? Advisers ensure that students complete social work courses in the scheduled developmental progression, provide guidance regarding completion of remaining university and cognate requirements, and discuss students' interests for their field placement, graduate school, and future employment in the profession.  Advisers also provide alternate pin numbers each semester.   
Schedule an advising appointment:  October and March are the months to remember to schedule a time for advisement for the next semester.  Check your Southern email for instructions and links to schedule an appointment, or click on the appropriate link below. 


Please Select the link for the advisor you have been 

Sign up with:  Steven Hoffler
LOCATION: Lang House Room 113

Sign up with: Sabrina Cameron
LOCATION: Lang House, Room 101

Advising FAQS

How do I schedule my advisement appointment?

All advisement schedules are posted online.  Please sign up directly in your advisor’s schedule, by clicking on your advisor’s name above. 

What do I need to bring to my advisement session?

Please bring a recent degree evaluation to your appointment.

Can I miss class to attend my advisement appointment?

No! Please do NOT schedule advising during class time.  If you are having trouble finding a time when your advisor is available, please contact your advisor directly, by email, and request a time that is not during your class time.

How long is my advisement session going to be?

Advisors block off twenty-minute sessions per student. 

When is my registration date?

Find your registration date each semester by going to

I am a transfer student.  Do I get to come in for advisement?

Yes! We are very happy to meet with transfer students and help assist you with planning your application to the social work program and your coursework. Please send any inquiries to

What courses will I be registering for?

Juniors and Seniors, please click on the BSW Course Progression tab to the left to preview which courses you should register for and when.  Pre-majors will discuss their course selections with their advisors.

Do I have to come in for my alternate PIN number?

Yes!  Social Work department faculty do not give out alternate pin numbers without first meeting with a student.

How do I pull up my Degree Evaluation?

From the Southern home page, log into Banner (as if you were going to register for classes).  Click on Records, then on Degree Evaluation.  Make sure you are listed as a social work major.  [If not, come to the department and complete a declaration of major form which can be obtained from the student workers or the department secretary].  Continue to follow the prompts, and select detail requirements to see your BSW program on the screen.  The courses that have a NO next to them still need to be completed.

I still have questions.  Whom do I ask?

It’s normal to have questions about the registration process and your advisor is prepared to answer them.  Some students prepare for advisement by writing down their questions and bringing it to their advisement session.  If you still have questions after your advisement session, please contact the information desk at