MSW Program Advanced Standing
ADVANCED STANDING PROGRAM
Master of Social Work students who are admitted with Advanced Standing have satisfied MSW foundation requirements (21 credits) in a CSWE-accredited BSW program. Advanced standing students earn their MSW degree in 39 credits, including 700 hours of advanced clinical field practice in an area of specialization.
Advanced Standing students complete their MSW degree in one or two years of full-time study:
- One-year plan: One calendar year; three semesters (summer, fall, spring).
- Two-year plan: Two academic years; four semesters (two fall semesters, two spring semesters)
- Students who are employed full-time are encouraged to select the two-year plan of study.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION WITH ADVANCED STANDING
MSW applicants who graduated from a CSWE-accredited undergraduate social work program (BSW) within the past six years may apply for admission with Advanced Standing. Most successful applicants for admission with Advanced Standing have an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or above.
Candidates for MSW admission with Advanced Standing apply to the School of Graduate Studies:
- Complete the MSW application and all related materials via the online application or as specified by the School of Graduate Studies
- Indicate that they are interested in being considered for admission with Advanced Standing
- Submit all materials required for the MSW application with the addition of:
- A third educational or professional letter of reference
- Their final field evaluation (for BSW graduates) or their mid-term field evaluation (for current BSW students)
- All application materials must be received by December 15 for the following academic year. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the application is completed on time
- Admissions decisions will be communicated by email by April 1. No admissions information will be given by phone.
Questions regarding the application process may be directed to Diane Michaelsen at Michaelsend1@SouthernCT.edu or 203-392 6905.