MSW Application Materials and Information
MSW ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
To be considered for admission to the MSW program, the applicant must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5. Admission is competitive and most successful applicants have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above (or 3.5 or above for admission with Advanced Standing). In addition, applicants must demonstrate a commitment to the values and ethics of the social work profession.
Applications are reviewed for evidence of:
- Potential for graduate study, including skills in critical and complex thinking, oral and written communications, and time management
- Potential for interpersonal helping, including maturity, self-awareness, concern for the needs of others, and awareness of social issues
- Potential for engaging with diverse populations
- Paid or voluntary experience in human services
- Other abilities or experiences that demonstrate the applicant’s potential for social work practice, such as bilingual proficiency or experience in an allied field.
MSW APPLICATION PROCESS
Applicants to the MSW program apply to the School of Graduate Studies:
- MSW applications and all related materials are submitted via the online application or as specified by the School of Graduate Studies. The following additional documents should be submitted:
- MSW applications are received from September 1 to December 15 for the following academic year. In order to be considered for admission, you must choose FALL 2017 on your application.
- All application materials must be received by December 1 for the following academic year. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the application is completed on time
- The MSW Program is not able to give personal admissions interviews, however prospective students are welcome to attend an upcoming Open House
- Admissions decisions will be communicated by email by April 1. No admissions information will be given by phone
- Questions regarding the application process may be directed to Diane Michaelsen at Michaelsend1@SouthernCT.edu or 203-392 6905.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION WITH ADVANCED STANDING
MSW applicants who graduated from a CSWE-accredited undergraduate social work program (BSW) within the past six years may apply for admission with Advanced Standing. Most successful applicants for admission with Advanced Standing have an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or above.
Applicants for admission with Advanced Standing:
- Follow the MSW application process as described above
- Indicate that they are interested in being considered for admission with Advanced Standing
- Submit all materials required for the MSW application with the addition of:
- A third educational or professional letter of reference
- Their final field evaluation (for BSW graduates) or their mid-term field evaluation (for current BSW students)