MSW Application Materials and Information
MSW ADMISSIONS STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES
To be considered for graduate study in Social Work, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 and an average of 3.0 in the social sciences (Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology and Political Science).
- Twenty semester hours in liberal arts, which may include Sociology, Psychology, and a combination of Political Science, Economics, History and Anthropology.
Applicant files are reviewed using the following criteria:
- Evidence of strong academic potential to perform successfully at the graduate level.
- Evidence of potential for professional competence, strong interest and motivation, and commitment to social work values.
- Evidence of personal qualifications essential for professional competence for social work: maturity, capacity for self-awareness, concern for the needs of others, ability for abstract reasoning, conceptual thinking, and strong communication skills.
- Evidence of paid human service experience and/or volunteer involvement.
- An applicant to the MSW Program must uphold the values of the social work profession and demonstrate a commitment to the promotion of well-being of clients, high standards of practice, and the general welfare of society.
The Department of Social Work Admissions Committee will only review applications that have been submitted with all the required materials by the application deadline. The deadline to apply for Fall 2015 admission is December 17, 2014. The department does not accept late applications or admit in the Spring; the next admission period will be Fall 2016.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all necessary materials are received by the School of Graduate Studies by the deadline. Please send all application materials to the School of Graduate Studies; sending materials to the Social Work Department may delay receipt of your application.
The Department of Social Work Admissions Committee does not grant personal interviews for admission consideration.
Please note: No admission decisions are given by telephone. You will be notified by email.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE (click here for checklist)
Please read and follow these instructions carefully so that your application will not be unnecessarily delayed.
**Please note that it is necessary to apply for admission to both the School of Graduate
Studies and the MSW Program. You need to receive an acceptance from BOTH the School
of Graduate Studies AND the Department of Social Work in order to be eligible for
1) ADMISSION TO THE SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES:
Complete and submit the University Application (http://www.southernct.edu/academics/graduate/graduate-admissions/graduate-application/index.html), $50.00 application fee, and all official transcripts (including SCSU transcripts) to the School of Graduate Studies.
2) ADMISSION TO THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WORK MSW PROGRAM:
Complete and submit the following documents. The items in bold are links to the necessary documents:
a) your personal essay, including signature page
c) a Waiver of Access form (waive/do not waive access to recommendations)
d) Two (2) completed recommendation forms, along with letters on letterhead which acknowledge that the individual completing the form is submitting a recommendation for the applicant.
e) MSW Application Form
f) Advanced Standing materials (see Advanced Standing tab at left):
i. application for Advanced Standing
ii. Advanced Standing recommendation form and letter on letterhead.
Submit all materials to:
The School of Graduate Studies
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent Street
New Haven, CT 06515
The School of Graduate Studies (203) 392-5240 or email@example.com
MSW Admissions (203) 392-6624 or firstname.lastname@example.org
MSW Admissions Director Diane Michaelsen (203) 392-6905 or email@example.com