Financial Aid Programs

Southern Connecticut State University participates in the following financial aid programs:



A grant is a form of aid based on need. It does not have to be repaid. Students must demonstrate financial need to be considered for the following grants:

  1. Federal Pell Grant (PELL) may be used at any college or university you attend as a matriculated undergraduate. It serves as the foundation of all financial aid and is available for full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time, and less than half-time study leading to a first undergraduate degree. Grants range from $600 to $5,645 per academic year, depending on your and/or your parents' financial resources.
  2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a federal grant program available to matriculated full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate extreme financial need, with priority to Pell recipients. First-year grants at Southern range from $200 to $500 per academic year. Funds are limited and depend on Southern's yearly allocations.
  3. Connecticut Aid to Public Schools (CAPS) is a state grant available to matriculated full-time undergraduate students who are Connecticut residents, maintain Satisfactory Academic Progess and demonstrate exceptional financial need. The grant award is based on the expected family contribution (EFC) determined by the federal processor.  The award ranges from $200 - $3000 per academic year.   A student may not receive the CAPS grant for more than four (4) years.
  4. Connecticut State University Grant (CSUG) is authorized by Connecticut statute and allows the university to award grants to Connecticut resident and non-resident students. Grants are given to matriculated students on the basis of demonstrated financial need. The range of awards at Southern is from $200 to $8000 per academic year. 
  5. Governor's Scholarship is a state grant available to new full-time, matriculated, undergraduate freshmen who are Connecticut residents, and demonstrate exceptional financial need.  The grant award is based on the expected family contribution (EFC) determined by the federal processor. The awards ranges from $200 to $3000 per academic year.   A student may not receive the Governor's scholarship grant for more than four (4) years.



Loans are funds that must be repaid with interest. Students must demonstrate financial need to be considered for the following loans:

Federal Perkins Loans are available to matriculated full-time students; preference is given to students with exceptional need.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) are loans available to matriculated graduate and undergraduate students, students earning a second degree and education certification students.


Federal Direct  Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are loans available to the parents of dependent students.

Federal Direct  Graduate Plus loans are available to graduate students.


Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

FWS is a federal program that provides part-time employment opportunities for part-time and full-time undergraduate or graduate matriculated  students. Eligibility is based on need as determined by OFAS. Employment opportunities on campus include jobs in the university library, laboratories, facility operations, health service, and various campus offices. Southern also places students in local, off-campus nonprofit agencies. Employment opportunities are numerous and can provide career-related experience. Students may work up to 20 hours a week while classes are in session, and 35 hours a week during holiday breaks and vacation periods. Award amounts vary and once the aid is awarded students are required to arrange an appointment with the OFAS. Students are paid bi-weekly at an hourly wage for work performed.



The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (OFAS) is responsible for receipt and disbursement of all student scholarships, institutional as well as private. Many students attending the university hold scholarships awarded directly by local community organizations. A Resource Bulletin Board has been established by OFAS where students can research non-university scholarship opportunities, secure applications, and receive general information. Prospective students are advised to investigate non-university possibilities through high school guidance counselors, fraternal or community organizations. Scholarships are based on any one or more of the following criteria: major, ethnic origin, financial need, gender, place of residence, academic performance, etc.



AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs created by Congress and former President Clinton as part of the National and Community Service Trust Act of 1993. It was designed to address the nation's critical human, educational, environmental, and public safety needs. The program provides tangible benefits to the communities in which national service is performed, and it offers educational opportunities for individuals who participate in national service.

The Corporation for National Service administers the program at the federal level. In Connecticut, the Department of Higher Education has been appointed as the State's lead agency. Eligible entities include city or state governments, Indian nations, nonprofit organizations, institutions of higher education, and federal agencies. Eligible entities compete at the state or federal level for program funds and approved national service positions.

Applicants may consider three programs within AmeriCorps National Service: AmeriCorps, AmeriCorps*VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America), and AmeriCorps*NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps). AmeriCorps members serve through national and community-based private and public organizations. AmeriCorps*VISTA places volunteers with private and public nonprofit agencies to address issues specific to poverty. AmeriCorps*NCCC is a 10-month residential service program. Members serve in teams on one of four regional campuses to meet a variety of needs in urban and rural communities. Eligibility and skill requirements vary with each program. As of October 1998, there have been more than 100,000 participants in the AmeriCorps National Service programs.

There are numerous benefits for those who serve. Participants may serve before, during, or after their post-secondary education. Members may receive a modest stipend for living expenses as well as room and board while participating in the program. Participants also receive health benefits and a child care allowance if needed. The education allowance for full-time service is $4,725 (limit two) or $2,363 for part-time service (limit two). Education allowances must be used for post-secondary education or to repay education loans within seven years from the time earned. Ultimately, service provides an individual with special skills while contributing to the national movement to help others with critical needs. To request an application, call 1-800-942-2677, TDD 1-800-833-3772 or log-on to



The Connecticut Department of Higher Education has approved SCSU's programs for the training of veterans. Educational assistance is provided by the Veterans Administration under Chapter 31 (vocational rehabilitation act for disabled veterans), Chapter 35 (dependents educational assistance act -- children of deceased veterans and of totally disabled veterans), Chapter 32 (post-Vietnam G.I. Education Bill), Chapter 1606 and 1607 (Reserve & National Guard Educational Assistance), and Chapter 30 (New G.I. Bill, effective July 1, 1985).

Veterans, children of veterans, and wives and widows of veterans seeking approval for training under these chapters should apply to the Veteran's Office, Engleman Hall, Room B 018A, for application procedures and qualifications. All veterans' benefits are considered a financial resource.

Tuition Waiver for Veterans

For the purpose of granting a tuition waiver, a veteran is anyone who served on active duty in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Air Force, and has been released from active duty under honorable conditions. Eligibility for the G.I. Bill is not a determining factor in granting a tuition waiver to a veteran in Connecticut.

To be eligible a veteran must be a Connecticut resident, matriculated and have served during the following periods:

Active duty for at least 90 days during:

Engaged in combat or in a combat-support role (DD214 must indicate an Expeditionary Medal):

Persons who served during any other period are not eligible for a tuition waiver. To qualify, bring your DD214 to the Veteran's Office, Engleman Hall, Room B 018A.

Connecticut National Guard Tuition Waiver (Full-Time Students)

Connecticut state residents who are members of the Connecticut Army or Air National Guard and are enrolled as full-time, undergraduates and graduates are eligible for a tuition waiver. The tuition waiver does not apply to other costs and fees, such as student activity fees and laboratory fees. It covers tuition only. Part-time or summer enrollment does not qualify students for this waiver.

Eligible full-time undergraduates and graduates must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from their National Guard Unit and submit it to the Bursar's Office with their tuition bill each semester. For more information, contact the Veterans Office located in Engleman Hall, Room B 018A, (203) 392-6822.