Apply now for Fall 2017 or check the status of your application below.
FALL 2017 Application Deadlines:
To ensure timely file completion and course registration, the Admissions Office will adhere to the following deadlines for Fall 2017 Transfer admission:
1) Fall 2017 applications for Transfer admission must be submitted no later than Monday, August 14, 2017.
2) The last day to be accepted for the Fall is Friday August 18, 2017.
New Transfer students enrolling at Southern for the first time must be registered for classes by Friday August 25, 2017.
Approximately 40% of Southern’s student body consists of Transfer Students who already had some level of higher education experience prior to attending Southern. As a university, we are dedicated to making this transition a positive experience. Understanding the policies regarding admission and the transferring of credits is the first step. Please review the information below.
- Admissions Requirements
- Application Requirements
- Application Process
- Transfer Credits
- Transfer Equivalency (CT Colleges Only)
- Advanced Standing
- Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you have 6, 12, or 90+ credits from an accredited college or university, admission to Southern is based on the following requirements:
- A minimum 2.0 GPA from the last institution you attended.
- A minimum 2.0 Southern GPA (for those who have a record at Southern)
For previous Southern students who left the university with a GPA lower than a 2.0 - please see the options below. You will need to obtain a 2.0 at Southern to be considered for readmission as a matriculated student.
ACADEMIC PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
Transfer Student admission is general admission to the University. You will declare or apply to your academic major once you are enrolled at Southern. Some academic programs have additional admission requirements; for further details, please review your intended major here: Undergraduate Majors
Transfer applicants must submit the following items to complete an application for admission to Southern:
- Complete the Online Application by clicking the "Transfer Application" link above
- Pay the non-refundable $50 application fee (this is done within your online application)*
- All official college/university transcripts
- Official final high school transcript or GED certificate indicating your completion of a high school diploma
*Application Fee Waiver: A waiver of the admission application fee is authorized for any financially needy student who completes and submits to the admission office the Transfer Application Fee Waiver form.
The Admissions Office will strictly enforce this checklist of required documents for Transfer application file completion. It is crucial for accurate academic advisement and course selection to have all transfer credits in Banner at the time of registration.
Therefore, proof of High School graduation* and official transcripts from ALL colleges/universities
must be received by the Southern Admissions office to complete an application file
for admission review and render an admission decision.
*If you have earned a college degree (Associate, Bachelor’s, etc.) that is posted on your official transcript, the High School Transcript requirement will be waived.
Admission decisions are primarily based on the most recent college transcript (minimum 2.0 GPA).
Students who once attended Southern as a matriculated student, left the university in good standing, and completed fewer than 12 credits at another institution during their leave must submit a readmission form to the Registrar’s Office.
- Submit your online application for admission.
- Submit all required documents - final High School transcript indicating date of high school graduation, and official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended.
- Check your Admissions Status online any time after receiving your Admission ID (will be sent to you via email once you have applied).
- Allow 4-6 weeks for submitted documents to be received and processed by the Admissions Office.
- Allow 2-3 weeks once your application is complete for a decision to be made.
- A decision e-mail (with Next Step instructions) will be sent within a week of the decision being made.
- Allow 2 weeks for a hard copy of your decision letter to arrive in the mail, along with the transfer equivalency forms, showing how your courses were transferred to Southern.
- If accepted, proceed with the MySCSU BannerWeb “Next Steps”
- If you plan to enroll as a full-time student, a $200 non-refundable confirmation deposit is required to reserve a spot at Southern.
- There is currently no limit to the amount of credits that can be transferred in to Southern.
- We only accept transfer credits from regionally-accredited institutions.
- College level courses that you have earned a minimum of a C- will be transferred as either equivalent courses or as elective credits.
- If you are transferring from one of our sister schools in CT - Central, Eastern, or Western - all college level courses with passing grades are transferable.
- If an Associate’s degree has been conferred at one of the CT community colleges, all college level courses with passing grades are transferable. See the CT State Colleges and Universities website for more information about Dual Admission and the Transfer Ticket.
- Please keep in mind that although there is a credit requirement for graduation, it is the completion of the degree program that dictates when you will graduate. Thirty (30) credits must be taken at Southern.
If a student does not agree with how a course was evaluated, the student can go to the Chair of the department to challenge it and/or complete a Transfer Credit Evaluation Inquiry form.
If you are transferring from an accredited institution within CT, you may be able to find out how your courses transfer before applying. Visit the Transfer Articulation Request to look through our database of colleges and universities. If your school is listed, you will be able to search the courses you have taken and see how they may transfer.
If you are interested in receiving credit for high school AP exams, please review this link: Advanced Placement. Official score reports must be sent to Undergraduate Admissions.
To learn about Southern’s CLEP policy, please review this link: CLEP.
If you earned college credits while in high school through an Early College Experience program, please remember to submit official college transcripts for those credits earned.