Main Content

Alcohol Poisoning

Alcohol is a depressant and can slow down many of the body's functions, including heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing.

The body only metabolizes one ounce (one standard drink) per hour. This means that when you can consume a lot of alcohol in a short period of time, it may take a while to reach the brain.

There are steps to follow in case you encounter someone who is suffering from alcohol poisoning:

  1. Try to wake the person. If the person does not respond by your voice then you can try pinching the skin lightly.

  2. Turn the person to their side so that if they get sick, they won't choke on their vomit. Do not leave the person.

  3. Check skin color or temperature. A sure sign of alcohol poisoning is if the skin is pale or bluish. This means the person is not getting enough oxygen.

  4. Check the person's breathing. Medical attention is necessary if the person's breathing is slow or shallow and if there is 10 seconds between breaths.

These are some of the acute symptoms of alcohol poisoning, but not all people have all the same symptoms. If you cannot wake the person, that is a sure sign that medical care is urgent.