Tutoring is provided by peer Academic Specialists, high-achieving SCSU undergraduate and graduate students recommended by faculty within one or more disciplines.
Individual support is available by appointment in over 20 academic disciplines (listed below) during the fall and spring semesters. Summer tutoring is available on a limited basis when resources are available. Please refer to the Summer Support page for details.
Appointments are strongly encouraged in all disciplines to ensure that an Academic or Writing Specialist is available to meet with you. Appointments may be scheduled for 30 or 60 minutes. Students are limited to 1 hour a day per subject area in an effort to meet the tutoring demands of all SCSU students.
Math tutoring is offered on a drop-in basis in the Academic Success Center Math Zone. Please refer to the Math Zone page for more information and a detailed schedule.
tutoring support areas
- Computer Science
- Environmental Studies
- Earth Science
- Exercise Science
- Political Science
- Public Health
Looking for tutoring in a course not currently supported?
Complete the Request for Tutoring form and return to the Academic Success Center!
Tips for working with Academic Specialists
- Use an Academic Specialist "early and often" to help you do your very best all semester!
- Learning requires active participation of the learner, so C=come prepared to discuss course material, ask questions, and practice problems.
- Tutoring is not a chance to have another student re-lecture or explain the content. Your Academic Specialist will not reteach material but will work through concepts, ideas, or problems with you so that you can leave with a better understanding.
- Do not procrastinate! Sessions the week of the test are less helpful and more busy. Plan ahead to meet with an Academic Specialist at least 24 hours before the test or assignment deadline.
- Academic Specialists will not help with exams or quizzes, including take-home exams. This violates the College's policies around academic conduct.