Frequently asked questions
Identify the browser you are using and follow the corresponding instructions:
- Where is the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology located?
The Center for Educational and Assistive Technology is located in Engleman Hall, room B017A.
See the SCSU campus map for reference.
- When is the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology open?
- Who is eligible to use the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology?
The Center for Adaptive Technology is open to all SCSU students however, some services are restricted to students registered with the Disability Resource Center. Students with disabilities fill out a brief intake form at the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology and participate in an evaluation to determine assistive technology needs.
- I am in a Special Education/Communication Disorders class and I would like to use the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology. What should I do?
The Center is open to all students. CEAT is available to students who wish to gain hands-on experience with assistive technology. Please contact us for more information.
- I am interested in having a student from my school district evaluated by the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology. What should I do?
To obtain an evaluation, please contact us for scheduling.
- Where do evaluations take place?
All evaluations are conducted at the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology.
- How much does an evaluation cost?Who pays for it?
An evaluation costs $1000. The party responsible for payment varies. Generally, if a school system requests the evaluation, they are responsible for payment. If an individual makes the request, s/he will be billed directly.
- What if I cannot afford an evaluation?
We make every effort to make our evaluations accessible to everyone who needs one. Please contact us for more information.
- I have a book that I would like scanned for use with a text-to-speech program. What should I do? How much does it cost?
To arrange for scanning, please contact us. The cost for scanning is currently $50 per 400 pages (i.e., books 1-400 pages will
cost $50, books 401-800 pages will cost $100, etc.). This price is subject to change.
PLEASE NOTE: For a book to be scanned, the binding must be chopped and the book needs to be in good condition (i.e., no writing, highlighting, etc.).
- I would like to schedule an in-service training session at my school, center, etc. What is available?
- I am interested in taking classes in assistive technology. How can I get more information?
There are a variety of classes in assistive technology offered through the departments of Special Education and Communication Disorders at SCSU. Both departments have a grant for training students in adaptive technology/augmentative and alternative communication. The Special Education department also offers a master of science with a concentration in adaptive technology. For more information please contact the departments.
- Does the Center for Educational and Assistive Technology sell technology devices or software?
The Center for Educational and Assistive Technology is not a vendor for any technology products. Following evaluations, the Center may recommend products that meet the specific needs of an individual. Vendor information may supplied at that time.