Ways to Connect With Southern Alumni
IA regularly communicates with alumni through email, social media and other channels. The majority of this communication flows through the offices of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving. We’re happy to partner with you to develop a communications strategy that will work best for your department.
IA oversees and manages the university alumni records to ensure that all alumni names, addresses (postal and email), graduation years, majors and data are distributed and used properly and correctly. Furthermore, it is critically important that we honor the expressed wishes of the alumnus in terms of contact preferences. Examples of contact preferences includes: no contact, no solicitation, limited contact, or no restrictions on communication.
The Advancement Services team within IA manages the data, and the Alumni Relations and Development teams coordinates all aspects of communications related to outreach for engagement. While we currently do not have any full time development officers, several people within IA support the development functions.
When a department collaborates with the Office of Alumni Relations on an event, we can support outreach through email communications, social media and by featuring it on our alumni website and event calendar.
If your department already produces an electronic newsletter, we can assist with the distribution of your newsletter and provide email headers and reports on results to you after it goes out.
We are happy to partner with your department on specific messages from your department
chair and/or messages from your dean to an alumni audience.
For further assistance, please call our team at (203) 392-6900, email us at Advance@SouthernCT.edu, or pay us a visit in the offices located in OB1 or the Alumni House on Farnham.
WAYS FACULTY AND STAFF CAN ENGAGE WITH ALUMNI
All alumni contact information collected by a department, sports team, student club, Greek group, etc., should routinely be emailed to Dawn Pello, prospect research officer, at PelloD1@SouthernCT.edu.
Many alumni accomplishments are included in the Class Notes section of the Alumni Magazine which is mailed twice a year to donors. We welcome all relevant updates in terms of jobs, personal highlights, etc. Please encourage alumni to share their information with us through Charlie Davison, in the Office of Alumni Relations.
Alumni can also directly share their news and contact information here.
Things to Consider:
If you have a directory of social media pages, please add the Southern Connecticut State University Alumni Association Facebook and Southern CT State University Alumni Network LinkedIn accounts to your list.
If you post alumni highlights, spotlights or news articles about alumni, please include all graduation years and share the alumni news with us at Alumni@SouthernCT.edu.
If any colleagues or members of your department are alumni, we encourage them to include their grad year in their email signatures.
Reunions, Department Anniversaries and Events
The Office of Alumni Relations is a great partner and resource in planning your alumni activities on campus and beyond. Our office would like to be aware of all alumni engagement efforts to help involve appropriate staff to promote it to the alumni directly.
The Office of Alumni Relations can partner with your department by:
- Promoting the event on the Alumni Association events calendar
- Sharing best practices in alumni event planning
- Facilitating email invitations and correspondence
- Creating online registration forms and attendee lists
- Managing registration fees and coordinating payments
- Potentially providing raffle items or gifts for alumni guests
Your department is asked to:
- Set up meetings with Alumni Relations staff
- Work with key campus constituents to promote and plan the event
- Personally reach out to alumni you are in contact with to encourage attendance
- Share alumni contact information with Alumni Relations prior to invitations being sent
- Provide Alumni Relations with final attendee list and any other relevant information
- Contact us to discuss your event idea!
Meet Alumni When You Travel
Southern alumni live in just about every corner of Connecticut and in almost every state and are very interested in connecting with faculty and students. If you are willing to meet with our alumni, we are looking to partner with you!
Hosting Alumni On Campus
Alumni guests on campus are considered our highest priority! When alumni from your department are visiting campus, we can assist with planning the visit and welcoming your alum.
The Office Alumni Relations can partner with your department by:
- Confirming the alumnus/a's premarital name and class year
- Providing a gift for the alumnus/a to your department, prior to their arrival
- Advertising the visit (when appropriate)
Your department is asked to:
- Let us know about alumni visits at least one week in advance
- Include the alumnus/a's class year in advertisements to showcase that a graduate is helping the university
- Share information collected about the graduate with Institutional Advancement (contact information, current employment, etc.)
- Share photos from the alumni visit with the Office of Alumni Relations via email
- Thank the alumnus/a in person and in writing for their support
- Contact us to share your alumni guest opportunity!
- Do you have Alumni Information and Updates? Share quick updates that YOU have discovered about alumni (biographical information, jobs etc.)? Alumni Information and Update Form
- Outreach to Alumni (email, or otherwise) Email Guidelines on Alumni and Donor Communications
- Meet Alumni When You Travel. Many alumni appreciate visitors – please help us reach more people by visiting alumni when you travel! Please connect with us ahead of your trip for alumni contact information.
- Interested in Crowdfunding for your department or program? See Crowdfunding guidelines