The Office of Information Technology and Facilities Operations work closely to provide office relocation services to campus community. Moves covered by the procedures outlined below include:
- Intra-departmental office moves by individual employees
- Inter-departmental office moves by individual employees
- Relocation of an university operation or function.
- If you are contemplating a move to an office that is currently occupied by your department/school/administrative unit, you must first check with your supervisor and receive his/her approval. The supervisor will then submit the request and justification to your Vice President for approval. Your request will not be processed without the approval of the Vice President.
- If you wish to move to an office that has not been occupied by your department/school/administrative unit previously, you must first receive the approval from your supervisor. The supervisor will then submit the request and justification to your Vice President and the Vice President of the administrative unit that owns the office. Your request will not be processed without the approvals of appropriate Vice Presidents.
- In some cases, Vice President(s) may forward your request to the Space Committee for review and recommendation.
- Before re-arranging or renovating the workplace, you must first contact Facilities Operations for a space analysis. If additional network or telephone jacks are needed, you must also contact the IT Department for an evaluation. All changes/additions must adhere to ADA and fire code requirements and must be approved by the Facilities Operations and/or IT Department.
- Supervisors are responsible to fill out the request forms on behalf of new employees prior to their arrivals.
- Please make a duplicate of the Office Move Request Form when completed and send one copy to Tom Struble (Facilities Operations room 120) and one copy to Nick Valsamis (Help Desk).
Request for the move must be submitted four weeks prior to the move. Fill out and submit theto Facilities Operation. Your request will not be processed without required signatures. If there is cost involved, your request will not be processed without the approval of the funding.
Move requests due to the following reasons will be processed and scheduled immediately:
- Security and safety
- ADA or health-related
- Other emergencies
All other requests will be processed in the order of receipt and scheduled into the next available "campus moving day". Due to the large volume of requests and limited resources, there may be a 6-8 weeks wait until the actual moving date. OIT and Facilities Operations have designated Fridays as the "Office moving day". Moves will be scheduled to achieve maximum efficiency and cost benefit, particularly with respect to the utilization of the moving contractor.
Employee will be notified two weeks prior to the actual moving date. Employee do not need to be present for the move. However, the move may be rescheduled if the preparation is not completed (see Preparation for the Move).
Additional fees will be assessed for new furniture, renovation, mechanical or cosmetic work as result of the move. In this case, the cost will be directly billed to the department/school. The average fees are listed as follows. The actual cost may vary depending on the room layout, underlying building structure, and availability of the services:
If new furniture is required, Facilities Services will work with you to select the furniture and provide a cost estimate. Note that any additions/changes may cause delays of the move and furniture orders take on average 12 weeks for delivery.
Preparation for the Move
If your move has been fully approved then follow the steps outlined below to prepare for your move. A successful move is best achieved by good planning. If more than one employee is moving within a department, having one person from the department to help coordinate the move process is highly recommended. Questions about upcoming move should be directed to:
- Karen Arborio for interior design
- Thomas Struble for moving
- Al Gulianello for electricity
- Don Neznik for keys
- Tony Brunetti for mail services
- Paul Loescher for signage and building directories
- IT Help Desk for computer, telephone, and network connection
Packing Your Office
Packing up your office is your responsibility. Cardboard boxes and tape can be provided. Call extension 26070 to request packing materials. Contents of all file cabinets, desks and bookcases will need to be packed prior to your move date. Label everything clearly with your name, department and new building and room number. It is strongly recommended that you or a designee be present on moving day. It is also recommended that you provide contact information to Facilities Operations for the move. Note that only state-owned properties will be moved.
In general, you will be using your current telephone in your new location. Label your phone with your name, department, new building and room number. OIT will transfer your phone number to the new location right before the scheduled move. When you arrive at your new office, please verify that there is a dial-tone on your phone. Your calls will now begin ringing on your desk. If there are any changes in office location and/or moving date, please contact IT Help Desk as soon as you have that information. A minimum of two days is required to adjust for any changes. Otherwise, service will not be available at the time you move into your new office.
Moving Computers and Printers
Facilities Services personnel will physically move computers and printers but they will not unplug or un-cable equipment. Guidelines for moving equipment are as follows:
- Shut down and power off your computer before the move.
- Make a backup of all your critical files.
- Computer equipment, including printers, will be moved with all other contents to be moved. Technical support, including disconnecting and reconnecting equipment, will be coordinated by OIT and Facilities Operations.
After the Move
As you settling into your new office, a few things to follow up:
- Check your phone and make sure that you hear dial-tone. Questions should be directed to IT Help Desk.
- Turn on your computer and make sure that you are connected to the network. Questions should be directed to IT Help Desk.
- Fill out and sign the equipment inventory record form and submit it to Facilities Services.
- Check with your supervisor for the keys to your new location.
- Notify mail service of your new address.
- If new signage is required, ask your supervisor to contact University Architect's office.
- Contact Facilities Operations if you need assistance in hanging pictures or other wall mounted items.
- Office Move Request Form - Updated 8/10/2011