Main Content

Faculty Development FAQs


Q: When will I receive the stipend portion of my grant?
A: CSU and CRAC: Stipends are added to your payroll check in August.

FDAC: No stipends are awarded for FDAC professional development grants.
MRRC: Stipends will be added to your payroll check in approximately 1-2 months.

Q: How much grant money is left in my Banner Org?
A: Please contact Jennifer Hudson at x25357 or via e-mail at to find out available balances. Please note that Ms. Hudson has Read-Only access to Banner. For finance questions and/or concerns, please contact Ajay Chhabra at x26852 or via e-mail at

Q: May I have a copy of the RFP?
A: Faculty Development distributes requests for proposals for the grants it administers via e-mail and also via the Faculty Development Grants web page.

Q: When is the due date for project proposals?
A: Each grant administered by Faculty Development has its own due date for project proposals. Here is a general time frame for our grants:

    • Faculty Development Grants - for Spring semester projects, 3rd Friday of November; for Fall semester projects, 1st Friday of April
    • Curriculum Grants - 2nd Friday of March
    • CSU Research Grants - 1st of February
    • Faculty Creative Activity Research Grants - March
    • Minority Recruitment and Retention Grants - for Spring semester projects, 1st Friday of December; for Fall semester projects, 1st Friday of April

Q: Was I accepted for the grant?
A: You will receive a letter indicating whether or not your proposal has been funded. 

Q: Did I file a report yet?
A: While we keep this data on file, we also suggest that you keep a copy of any grant reports submitted to our Office in case of any discrepancy.

Q: What are the reviewers looking for and what are the criteria?
A: Each committee has its own respective criteria for a given grant. Please check the request for proposals and guidelines for the given grant. 

Q: What happens if I don't use all of my grant funds?
A: If there are funds remaining in your Banner Org. after the grant cycle ends, they will be returned to the general account for the appropriate grant.

Q: Why didn't I get funded for "x" grant?
A: The most common reason why a grant proposal does not get funded is because the project outlined in the document does not meet the criteria or fit the purview of the specific grant for which it has been submitted. Often, such proposals may be better suited for a different type of Faculty Development grant or funding source. Faculty Development offers recommendations for improving proposals and/or locating other funding sources. Another common reason a grant proposal does not get funded is because cycles have gotten more competitive over the years with an increased volume of proposals.

Q: Who do I contact about travel money, travel policies and travel procedures?
A. While Faculty Development can answer most general questions related to all travel associated with FD-administered grants, more specific questions about travel expenses, policies and procedures can be directed to Accounts Payable at ext. 26844 or viewed at the Travel Office web site.

Q: I started the grant with "x" proposal, but "blank" happened and I had to change the grant, what do I do?
A: Should there be an amendment to your grant, please submit an official memorandum to the respective grant review committee explaining the reason and logistics for the change. Please copy the Director as well as the Grants Manager of Faculty Development on the memo. The grant review committee will then review the request and make recommendations to  the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Q: Are part-time faculty eligible for grants?
A:  Part-time faculty members are eligible for Faculty Development Advisory Committee (FDAC) grants.  


Publicity for Events 

Q: Can you distribute a message about my event via the all-faculty e-mail list?
A: We respect electronic mailbox capacities and so we do not send out e-blasts for individual events. All events get included in our Monthly Calendar, which is usually disseminated on Fridays in time for the next week.

Q: How do I make a submission to the Monthly Calendar?
A: Please send an email to Include a brief description of the event you wish to publicize as well as its date, time and location.

Q: What is the deadline for Monthly Calendar?
A: The deadline for submissions to the Monthly Calendar is the last Thursday of the month prior to the event.


Guest Speakers

Q: How do I allocate funds from my grant to pay a guest speaker?
A: If the amount you wish to pay a guest speaker is under $2,999, complete a Services and Honorarium Request Form, which may be downloaded from our web page. If the amount you wish to compensate a guest speaker is $3,000 or above, complete a Personal Service Agreement (PSA). This form may be obtained from Faculty Development. Additionally, the University will need a completed W-9 form for the speaker, which may be downloaded from our web page. All paperwork should be submitted to Faculty Development at least three weeks prior to the speaker's presentation. Please contact Faculty Development at x25358 with any questions about the completion of paperwork.

Q: How will my guest speaker receive compensation?
A: After the speaker's presentation, submit a Voucher/Disbursement Form to our office. This form is available on our web page and is necessary to release the funds from your grant. Accounts Payable will then mail a check to the speaker.

New Faculty Concerns

Q: When will I get my first pay check?
A: There is a two-week hold back period before you may anticipate your first

Payroll check.

Q: Where are some good restaurants close to campus?
A: Stone Hearth, Bella's Cafe, Lena's Cafe and Confections are all located along Whalley Avenue once you make a right off of Fitch Street from campus.


Q: How do I arrange for computer service?
A: Contact the Academic Computing Center, x26444, to set up your Windows and MySCSU accounts and login names and passwords. We also highly recommend you stop by the Faculty Technology Walk-In Center located in Buley Library, Room 309 A, x25061, for instruction on how to use the various platforms, applications and tools available to support your teaching.

Q: How do I arrange phone service?
A: Contact telecommunications at x25453.

Q: What is the policy for dealing with disruptive students?
A: In the case of a disruptive student, faculty should inform the Dean of Student Affairs, the Department Chairperson, and the Academic Dean in writing that a warning has been issued to a student. These guidelines are detailed in the SCSU Policy for Dealing with Disruptive Students. The University has a zero tolerance policy for classroom disruptions.

Q: Who do I approach if I have a student problem?
A: In the case of immediate danger, faculty should contact campus police at x25375. If you are dealing with a disruptive student, please contact Christopher Piscitelli, University Judicial Officer, at x25870, If you have a student in your class who seems to be dealing with a given issue, please refer him or her to Counseling Services at x25475.



Q: What are standards for Promotion and Tenure?
A: Please read the Promotion and Tenure guidelines.

Q: Are tuition waivers available for family members of faculty?

A: Tuition Waiver is available for full-time faculty, their spouses and their children under the age of twenty-five if the members have at least one semester of service (see Article 13.13 of the AAUP/BOT Collective Bargaining Agreement). You must complete a Tuition Waiver form, obtained and approved in the Human Resources Office, and presented to the Bursar's Office when registering. This waiver may be used only on the four CSU campuses.

Q: What is the policy concerning assigning my own intellectual property?

A: Please visit the policy on the Academic Affairs webpage.

Q: How do I RSVP when I wish to attend a workshop?
A: We have developed a system within our web page to streamline the RSVP process. You may also e-mail us at