Faculty Development Fund Grants

February 19, 2015

Dear Colleagues:

The Faculty Development Advisory Committee (FDAC) invites proposals from full-and part-time faculty for activities to "...enhance their ability to be productive and innovative professionals..." as specified in Article 9.6 of the CSU-AAUP/BOT Collective Bargaining Agreement. Proposals are encouraged from schools, departments, officially recognized interdisciplinary programs, affinity groups, and individuals.

All faculty are urged to discuss ideas and develop proposals for the Fall 2015 semester that will enhance their abilities as professionals in the areas of instruction, research and creative endeavors that will be of potential benefit to groups of faculty. Proposals that involve collaboration between and among departments are especially encouraged.

Faculty members are encouraged to take advantage of this unique opportunity for professional development and renewal. Please note that it is the policy of the committee that only proposals for the Fall 2015 semester will be considered with this application. Any funds awarded for Fall 2015 must be expended by December 31, 2015. Program evaluations are due December 31, 2015. Individuals who have previously received awards under this program must have submitted program evaluations to the Office of Faculty Development in order to be considered for the current FDAC Grant award cycle.

Questions regarding the application process or other issues may be directed to Ms. Jennifer A. Hudson, Faculty Development Associate, via e-mail to hudsonj1@southernct.edu.

Completed proposals must be submitted electronically to Ms. Hudson at hudsonj1@southernct.edu no later than 4:00 PM on Monday, April 6, 2015. The committee will notify recipients of awards after Monday, April 20, 2015.


Dr. Bonnie Farley-Lucas

Director, Faculty Development

FDAC - Faculty Development Advisory Committee Grant RFP & Application

FDAC Grant Proposal Evaluation Rubric

Faculty Development Fund Grants-General Information

Congratulations on receiving your Faculty Development award.  Best wishes for a successful program.  The information that follows will help you in achieving the success that you wish.

The amount of the award was specified in the letter you received from the Associate Vice President for Assessment, Planning and Academic Programs.  Please exercise care in planning your project to ensure that you do not exceed this amount. The grant money must be used for the semester for which it is intended. If unable to start or complete the project within the appropriate semester you may submit a written request for an extension for one semester.  After one year any remaining funds will be returned to the Faculty Development Fund.

A Banner organization will be set up for each grant awarded, in the name of the recipient.  When a joint proposal has been funded, one faculty member will be identified as the project director for administrative purposes. The University will administer the expenses for your project through the procedures described below. Please note that all expenses must be included in your budget. 

N.B. Please send or hand-deliver all forms and paperwork for all grant expenditures directly to the Office of Faculty Development for prior approval.

Payment and Expenses for Consultant(s)

Honorarium Payment Request Form: For honoraria that are $3,000 or less, please use the Honorarium Payment Request Form for $3,000 or less (a sample of which is attached).  Please complete the form electronically, print and submit the request (with the consultant's original signature) to Faculty Development, EN B 106, three weeks before the date of the engagement. In the event that an honorarium exceeds $600.00, it will be your responsibility to obtain the consultant's signature on the form before submitting to Faculty Development for approval. Additionally, the speaker must also complete a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification form and a Nondiscrimination Certification form. If the speaker is a State of Connecticut employee a dual employment form must also be completed. Click here for honoraria forms. Submit all forms to Faculty Development when completed. 

A Note about Consultant Travel Expense Reimbursement: If travel, lodging, and other incidentals are appropriate for the speaker, the amount must be included on the honorarium request form and broken out under "costs and payment schedule." Please ask the consultant(s) to keep all expenses within General Services Administration (GSA) guidelines. GSA guidelines specify the use of public transportation at coach or business class on trains and planes. Public transportation is also stipulated from an airport or train station to the site. In the event that the consultant(s) prefers to use a private car, expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with GSA guidelines.  Click here for the most recent mileage rates. Please note, however, that gas mileage rates are adjusted within the State of Connecticut and so the best way to get the current mileage rate is to check with Accounts Payable.

In the event that your plans include a meal for the consultant(s) to which faculty and others are invited, only the food costs for the consultant(s) can be reimbursed and these must be within GSA guidelines. If you pay for a meal for a speaker, you must get written approval from the Provost prior to the date of the meal to be eligible for reimbursement.

Lodging in the New Haven area is authorized at the prevailing rates for a basic room.  The hotel may be paid directly by the University. Click here for hotel services information.  

After services are rendered to your satisfaction, a Voucher/Disbursement Request form must be completed and signed by you for payment to the speaker. The form must include the consultant's address and Federal Tax ID number.  The form must then be forwarded to Faculty Development.  

All speakers are paid after the engagement.  It is not possible to have a check processed and ready to distribute on the date of the event.  Payment will require approximately two to four weeks.  If you require assistance or further direction about these guidelines, feel free to contact Faculty Development, Ext. 2-5358. 

Scheduling and Room Arrangements

Most academic and cultural events on campus tend to be scheduled Wednesday or Friday. Full-day events planned when classes are in session are difficult for most faculty and students to attend because of classes and other responsibilities.  However, this may be appropriate for some programs having a specific group of participants.  

Once the event is scheduled, please send the particulars to Faculty Development so the information can be included in the Weekly Calendar

Room arrangements should be made as early as possible.  Most of the general-purpose rooms on campus are booked well in advance of an event. No single office is responsible for room reservations. The following provides information about who schedules space in a particular building.

Rooms in the University Student Center (USC) are scheduled through Mr. Eric Simms in the USC office, Ext. 2-5500.  Electronic reservation is required and may be submitted online.

Space in the John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts is scheduled through Mr. David Starkey, Ext. 2-6163.  Written reservation is required with a Facilities Usage Reservation Form.

Space in Connecticut Hall is scheduled through Ms. Arlene Lucibello, University Scheduling, Ext. 2-6165. Written reservation is required.  Please use the Facilities Usage Reservation Form.

Space in Pelz Gymnasium and Moore Fieldhouse is scheduled through Mr. Antonio Aceto, Director of Athletic Facilities, Ext. 2-6003.

Rooms in Buley Library are scheduled through Dr. Christina Baum, Director of Library Services, Ext. 2-5760.

Other space, including classrooms in all buildings for purposes other than instruction, is reserved through the Scheduling Office, John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts.  Arrangements may be made with Ms. Arlene Lucibello, Ext. 2-6165.  Written reservation is required. Please use the Facilities Usage Reservation Form.

Arrangements for audiovisual equipment, podiums, and similar items must be made withAV/TV and Multimedia, EN B16, Ext. 2-5400.


Modest refreshments may be provided for seminars, workshops, and other programs so long as compliance with the university's policy is demonstrated. Below is the revised policy issued by Finance and Administration.


On occasion, it is in the University's best interest to host refreshments or a business meal as a necessary business practice.  Prudent judgment for incurring such expenses is essential.  Refreshments and business meals are subject to public examination and audit. Such expenses must be fully necessary, reasonable and supportable in all instances.

This document provides guidelines for the purchase of refreshments and meals that are to be paid for with state appropriated funds.  This document does not pertain to Residence Hall Council Activity Accounts and Student Activity Accounts (except where indicated); approval processes for these expenses shall be developed accordingly within the Division of Student Affairs.

A.    Allowable Expenses

1.    Light refreshments, defined as coffee, tea, bottled water, juice, soda and food items such as pastries, fruit, chips, cookies and cake, may be provided during meetings of official University business provided the meeting does not consist entirely of University employees.  Prior written approval* of the President or appropriate Vice President is required if the cost of providing beverages and/or light refreshments exceeds $100.

2.    Expenses specifically for breakfast, lunch or dinner meetings held in connection with official University business or with the entertaining of guests visiting the University on official business must have prior written approval* of the President or appropriate Vice President.  Expenditures shall be limited to the cost of food and non-alcoholic beverages only.  THE UNIVERSITY DOES NOT PAY FOR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES. 

3.    Lunch expenses of University employees are usually a personal responsibility; however, payment or reimbursement of employee(s) meals may be allowed with prior written approval* of the President or appropriate Vice President when:
(a)    The charge is part of a conference or workshop expense;
(b)    It is necessary to hold a meeting to carry out official University business which extends through breakfast, lunch, or dinner and the primary purpose of the meeting is not the meal;
(c)    A member of a search committee hosts a candidate for a position (refer to section B. Search Meals).
(d)    A departmental employee hosts a visiting lecturer, potential donor, or other official guest to the University.

4.    Recognition events for employees may be hosted by the President and Vice Presidents. Chief Officers or Deans may also host such events with prior approval by the President and Vice Presidents.

B.    Search Meals

1.    Meals may be provided with prior written approval* of the President or appropriate Vice President for candidate interview situations under the following conditions:
(a)    The maximum number is four people exclusive of the candidate;
(b)    Off-campus meals with a candidate and members of the search committee will be reimbursed via a CO-17XP Employee Voucher form with supporting documentation (including a list of all attendees) and itemized receipts to Accounts Payable for reimbursement.  (Refer to Section E. Meal Tax Exemption Process for information regarding meal sales tax).

C.    Chartwells Food Service Operations (subject to all funds including Residence Hall Council Activity Accounts and Student Activity Accounts):

1.    Refreshments or prepared foods that do not exceed $100 may be purchased from a third party provider for on-campus events provided such expenditures adhere to this refreshment policy;
2.    Chartwells has the right of first refusal to provide a price estimate for all catering of refreshments or prepared foods in excess of $100.  Following the price estimate, the University is not obligated to Chartwells to provide catering. Please note:  Outside caterers are not allowed to use the university kitchen areas and/or cooking equipment.  To arrange for Chartwells food service operations:
(a)    Contact Chartwells Catering Service at Extension 2-6987 to arrange for food selection, service and/or price estimate. 
(b)    Provide Chartwells the appropriate Banner Org(s), the signature of the Banner Org(s) financial manager and the approval of the President or Vice President as appropriate. 
(c)    The Banner Org(s) financial manager will see the encumbrance against the associated Banner Org(s), which are normally posted on a monthly basis. Once food service is provided, Chartwells will directly invoice the University Controller's Office for payment processing.  
(d)    Any issues related to the payment of the event must be immediately reported not only to Chartwells Catering Service (Extension 2-6987), but also to the University Controller's Office (Extension 2-5457). 
(e)    Please note:  Chartwells Catering Service requires a 72-hour cancellation notice.

D.    P-card or Purchase Order

1.    Refreshments or meals allowable under this refreshment policy may be paid through a university issued P-Card (Chartwells catering service excepted whereby an internal process exists that directly charges the requester's Banner Org).

2.    The cardholder shall reconcile the refreshment and/or meal purchase in accordance with the University's Purchasing Card (P-card) Policies and Procedures.

3.    The associated P-card transaction related to the refreshment or meal event must contain a copy of the written approval* of the President or appropriate Vice President, in accordance to Section A. Allowable Expenses.

4.    All other off-campus events for which the providing of refreshments or meals is appropriate, has received prior written approval* by the President or appropriate Vice President,  and the payment of such is not administered through the university's P-card program, shall be ordered via the university's procurement process (i.e. purchase requisition / purchase order). A copy of the written approval by the President or appropriate Vice President must accompany the purchase requisition to the SCSU Purchasing Department.  (Refer to Section E. Meal Tax Exemption Process for information regarding meal sales tax).

E.    Meal Tax Exemption Process (subject to all funds including Residence Hall Council Activity Accounts and Student Activity Accounts)

1.    Meals exempt from sales tax shall be in accordance with the State of Connecticut, Department of Revenue Services (DRS), Policy Statement concerning "Purchases of Meals or Lodging by Exempt Entities" (http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/publications/pubsps/2006/ps06-3.pdf) procedures summarized as follows:
(a)    The University Controller's Office must be notified of tax exempt meals not later than three weeks prior to the event.  Please send an email to Ms. Deborah Streeter (Streeterd1@southernct.edu) and include in the email: 
     1)    The name of the event;
     2)    The date of the event;
     3)    The number of attendees;
     4)    The name, address, contact information including fax number of the vendor providing refreshments/meals;
     5)    Indicate whether the event includes payment from the event attendees that will be used to supplement the cost of the meal (see (b) below);
     6)    Provide copy of approval to conduct the event and provide refreshments/meals as in accordance to this policy. 
(b)    Tax exemption will ONLY be approved by DRS if: 
     1)    The event involving refreshments or meals is directly invoiced and charged directly to the university by the retailer;
     2)    The event is directly paid to the retailer by a university issued check or university issued P-card;
     3)    The event is not reimbursed, directly or indirectly, by donation or otherwise, for all or a portion of the cost of the meals by those consuming the meals.

F.    Non-Allowable Expenses

1.    Refreshments or meals generally may not be provided in conjunction with ordinary or recurring staff meetings or other regularly scheduled business meetings of employees.  Occasionally, certain circumstances may exist that warrant refreshments at a staff meeting, the provision of which is permissible with prior written approval* by the President or appropriate Vice President.

2.    Ad hoc committee meetings and informal meetings consisting solely of university employees should not include breakfast, lunch, or dinner expenses except events subsidized by special allocated collective bargaining Faculty Development Funds and/or other restricted monies from a non-University source.  For grant-supported payments, pre-approval is required by the Sponsored Programs and Research Department

3.    Meals associated with travel are not included in this policy.

4.    It is SCSU's policy to provide payment for all reasonable and necessary expenses incurred in transacting University business.  The following are specific types of expenses which are considered to be of a personal nature and will not be considered a University expense:

•    Alcoholic beverages;
•    Birthday or other such celebration cakes;   
•    Holiday meals or celebrations for employees, including Administrative Professionals Day;
•    Office parties or employee entertainment (both internal and external);   
•    Gifts or donations of any kind;
•    Political events, contributions or donations

G.    Exception

Under certain circumstances, and only in the best interest of the University,  an exception to this policy and procedures document may be granted by the President or appropriate Vice President.  Individuals believing that an exception to this policy and procedures document is in the University's best interest must request written approval* in advance to the  President or appropriate Vice President.  

Please note:  Refreshments, meals and related events are subject to close public examination and audit and must be fully necessary and reasonable in all instances. 

* A copy of email approval is sufficient

If you have questions about planning refreshments, please contact Faculty Development, Ext. 2-5358.

Supplies or Materials

For supplies or materials $99.99 and under (in total), you may purchase the items yourself and submit an Employee Voucher - Travel and Other form, with original receipts attached, to Faculty Development, EN B 106 for reimbursement. 

For items equal to or greater than $100 (in total), please complete a Purchase Requisition and submit to Faculty Development.  Allow two to four weeks for processing.

Sponsored activities are open to all full and part-time faculty members.  Staff, students, and members of the greater New Haven community may be invited and should be welcome at many, if not most, events.  Publicity about the project should include the statement, "This project is supported by a Faculty Development Grant," or similar wording.

Publicity to faculty and administrators can be provided through Faculty Development's Weekly Calendar. This calendar is e-published weekly during the academic year, except holiday periods and vacations.  To place an event in the calendar, provide the necessary information to the Faculty Development by 4:00 p.m. Tuesday one week prior to the event. Information may also be phoned in (ext. 2-5358), dropped off in EN B 106, or sent by e-mail to Faculty Development, facultydevel@southernct.edu.

For certain programs, announcements may be made in classes to reach our students. Some events may welcome the University community as a whole and require campus-wide distribution. Such press releases and announcements should be coordinated through the Office of Public Affairs, ext. 26586. 


Evaluation of Faculty Development Projects

Your project must be evaluated with a formal instrument. In addition, you are required to ask participants to sign in, tracking attendance at any grant-funded events.  Sample evaluation instruments and sign-in sheets can be found below. Please submit these records to Jennifer Hudson, Faculty Development Associate, Faculty Development, EN B 106, within ten days of the event.

Sample Evaluation & Attendance Forms: