Community of Science (COS)
SPAR is pleased to announce that the University is now a member of Community of Science (COS) which features the most comprehensive source of funding information available on the Web, with more than 25,000 records, representing over 400,000 funding opportunities, worth over $33 billion.
COS provides a full range of Internet-based services for the world's researchers.
Universities, corporations, societies, private institutions, government agencies and individual researchers all depend on COS Web-based products and services to find funding, promote their work, identify experts, manage resources, and collaborate with colleagues.
• COS Funding Opportunities - an up-to-date database of announcements for grants, fellowships, awards and more from around the world, comprising more than 25,000 records worth over $33 billion.
• COS Funding Alert - a weekly e-mail notification with a customized list of funding opportunities based on specified criteria provided by the individual COS member.
• COS Expertise - a richly featured knowledge management system for individuals and institutions, containing more than 480,000 first-person profiles of researchers from over 1,600 institutions worldwide.
• COS Scholar Universe - a searchable, editorially controlled database of nearly 2 million published scholars in a variety of disciplines.
• COS Public View of Expertise (PVE) - a user-friendly interface to make selected information from an institution's research expertise available to key external constituencies and the general public.
• COS Workbench - an easy-to-use Web workspace for Expertise profile holders, with many features to help you promote your work
SCSU Faculty & Staff can access COS Funding Opps and Funding Alert one of two ways:
1) IP Access
From any on-campus computer, you can go right to http://www.cos.com/. Because SCSU's IP addresses will be recognized by RefWorks-COS, you can start searching the database right away.
2) Username and Password
Faculty can log into http://www.cos.com/ with a COS username and password anytime, anywhere. Logging in this way will take the user to his or her COS Workbench. From the COS Workbench, the user can search for grant opportunities. Username and password access is necessary when a) a user is off-campus, or b) when a user needs to save a Funding record or search.
Getting a COS username and password is easy: SCSU faculty & staff can go to http://www.cos.com/ and click the "New User? Register Free" icon near the top left of the screen. You will gain access to Funding Opps and Alert by indicating that you are affiliated with SCSU.
We are certain that you will find many new and exciting opportunities available from the wide variety of funders featured in the searchable COS databases. As always, SPAR looks forward to assisting you with your grant submissions in the upcoming year!