Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is available on October 1. We recommend completing the FAFSA online at; however, a paper copy can be obtained by calling the Federal Student Aid information center at 1-800-4-FEDAID. Students also can download a PDF version of the FAFSA by visiting


What is A priority date?

Students who electronically sign and submit a valid FAFSA to the federal processor by the priority date will have their financial aid file reviewed before bills are due and may receive the maximum gift aid based on availability.


The priority date for filing the FAFSA is March 15. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships must receive a complete and valid Institutional Student Information Report from the federal processor by the priority date in order for the FAFSA to be considered on time.

Will the Financial Aid office require supplemental information in addition to the FAFSA?

Not necessarily. However, the federal government randomly selects financial aid applicants for a review process called "verification." As a result, we may be required to collect copies of the documentation you used to complete the FAFSA. Students are notified by SCSU e-mail if additional information is required. Financial aid applicants will not receive a financial aid package until all required documentation has been submitted to and reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

How do I send in my required documents?

First, ensure that all documents include the student's full name and student ID number. Documents can be scanned and emailed to, faxed to (203) 392-5229, or brought to our office located in Wintergreen, room 117. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is open 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

What is the Title IV school code for SCSU?

The Title IV code is 001406.

Can I still file my FAFSA if I am not accepted to the university?

Yes, it is in your best interest to submit your FAFSA by the priority date even if you have not been accepted into the University. However, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will not process your application until you have been officially accepted as a matriculated student either by the Undergraduate Admissions Office or the Office of Graduate Studies.

What happens if the federal processor processes my FAFSA after the "priority date"?

Your financial aid application will be considered late. You may not have financial aid in place by the bill due date.  You are urged to file your FAFSA online and to utilize the electronic signature component available to you upon completion of the application.

When will I hear about my financial aid award notification from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships?

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships generally begins mailing award notification during the month of March for new incoming students and June for continuing students. However, those students selected for "verification" by the federal processor will be required to submit required documents prior to receiving their award notification. Students need to submit all requested documents by June 22 in order to receive an award notification before bills are due. Also, students need to complete the loan requirements (master promissory note, entrance counseling, etc.) by June 24 in order for the financial aid to be credited against their university charges.

Can my financial aid change once I have been awarded and/or accepted the aid?

Yes. Your financial aid package is based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the information you provide on the FAFSA, current enrollment status, grade level, additional resources and scholarships, etc. Therefore, any changes or discrepancies may result in adjustments to your aid.

what if my enrollment status changes?

If your enrollment status (i.e. full-time, part-time, etc.) happens to change, you can let the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships know by completing a Change of Award form. Once received, your aid will be adjusted based on your enrollment status. An enrollment status change from full-time to part-time may result in a reduction or cancellation in financial aid including loans and grants. An enrollment status change from part-time to full-time does not guarantee an increase in financial aid funds.

Can I receive financial aid for the winter and spring intersessions??

Federal financial aid is not available for the winter and spring intersessions.  For those sessions, you need to pay out-of-pocket or use a private loan.

Can I receive financial aid for the summer session?

To determine your eligibility for summer aid, you must complete a 2018-2019 FAFSA and the SCSU  2019 Summer Financial Aid Application.  Undergraduates must enroll for 6 or more credits and graduates must enroll for 4.5 or more credits during the summer session. The summer application becomes available on the first Monday in March 2019 and must be submitted no later than the first Monday in May 2019. The deadline for submitting the 2019 Summer Financial Aid Application will be posted on the form.  Late applicants will not be accepted. See "How to Apply for Financial Aid?" for additional requirements.

Is it necessary for me to pay my bill if I am waiting for financial aid?

Yes. You must pay your bill on time.  If your financial aid is not credited to your university account by the payment due date, you are required to pay the bill. The fall semester bill is due on July 15th and the spring semester bill is due on December 15th.

When are refunds available?

Generally, refunds become available mid-October for the Fall semester and at the end of February for the Spring semester. Please check with Student Accounts for further information on refunds.

I need to have a form completed by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.  How long will it take to process?

Please allow three to five business days for processing and up to two weeks during peak periods (May - August).

I am under the age of 24 but I do not live with my parents, My parents do not claim me on their taxes and they do not provide any financial support.  Do I still have to include their information on the FAFSA?

If you cannot answer 'Yes' to any question under Step Three (questions 46 - 58) listed here: Dependency Section, then you must provide your parents' information on your FAFSA.  If you feel extenuating circumstances exist that prevent you from including your parents' information, then please contact our office to speak with a financial aid counselor.  Financially supporting yourself and living on your own is NOT considered an extenuating circumstance.

When will my completed Master Promissory Note and/or Plus credit decision show up on my Banner Web account?

Our office will start receiving the Master Promissory Notes and Plus credit decisions in June 2018.  You may confirm these requirements were completed successfully by logging into  If you do not see the requirement on your Banner Web account satisfied by end of June 2018, please contact our office.