Verification is the process used to confirm the data reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When the federal government selects your FAFSA for verification, the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships (OFAS) is required to collect the source documentation to confirm the data.
Applicants selected for verification will receive notification via their university email account. You will be directed to Banner, where the requirements are listed. Some forms are available on our website, while other documentation is provided by you.
In some cases, your financial aid officer may require additional information to complete the verification process. If you are required to submit forms/documents to our office, you will be notified via your SCSU email account. Most forms can be accessed through Banner Web and on our website under the Forms and Documents section. Be sure to submit the forms for the correct academic year. Examples of forms that may be requested are:
- Verification Worksheet (dependent or independent)
- Your 2015 federal tax return transcript from the IRS office.
- Your parents' 2015 federal tax return transcript from the IRS office (dependent students only).
- Asset Verification Form
- Student/Parent Non-Filers' Statement
- Verification of Child Support Paid
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Additional documentation may be required in certain verification cases.
All required documents for verification for the 2017-2018 academic year must be submitted to our office by June 23, 2017, in order for us to review the file and determine financial aid eligibility. Students who submit the requested documents after June 23 will be required to pay their bill up front or enroll in a payment plan until the financial aid is credited to their university bill.