Main Content

Latest News in Accounts Payable

CURRENT MILEAGE RATE - 54.5 cents per mile for travel on or after 1/1/2018.

TRAVEL BANS -Please note that Executive Orders 45 and 52 issued by Governor Malloy prevent state funded or state sponsored travel to Mississippi and North Carolina.

UPDATE TO TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION APPROVALS - Presidential approval for out-of-state travel is no longer necessary. Out-of-state travel will now require the approval of both the vice president of your area and the dean of your school. Presidential approval is required only if your area reports directly to the president's office.

To summarize:

      Vice President
    dean approval is required for:
  1. OUT-OF-STATE TRAVEL in part or entirely from the operating fund*
  2. INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL funded in part or entirely from the operating fund*

*fund 111, 112, 113, 1210, 2110, 2112

PLEASE NOTE: VP and Dean approval is also needed for out-of-state travel that is funded entirely from AAUP, SOUAF/AFSCME, and/or grant funds.

UPDATE TO CSU TRAVEL POLICY - The CSU Travel Policies and Procedures manual has been updated effective July 1, 2015. Please note that the list below includes some of the highlights and does not include all of the changes. CSU Travel Policies and Procedures Manual.


  1. Once you have returned from your trip, you must submit your reimbursement form and expense documentation within 30 calendar days (regardless of whether or not a travel advance was received).
  2. A policy exception request form may be submitted to justify reimbursement of expenses not
    addressed specifically in this manual. It must have a valid justification for the expense to be
    considered for reimbursement. The policy exception request form must be signed by the traveler
    and approved by the designated authority level. (See Travel Policy Exhibit A)

Please see Parking Permits for information on what to do if parking in economy lot 3 is not available.

SCSU has established a Procurement Card program providing a convenient way to pay for travel related expenses such as airfare, conference registration and lodging without  the use of personal funds. Please visit for more information.

PLEASE REMEMBER THE TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION FORM HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO ACCOMMODATE USE OF THE UNIVERSITY P-CARD! Expenses such as registration, airfare, lodging etc. to be paid by the P-Card, after the TA is approved, can now be indicated on the TA. Only items not charged to the P-Card will be encumbered. In addition, when a P-Card is not available and a check is needed, the revised TA eliminates the need for additional vouchers for prepayments such as registration, lodging or travel advances. Now you can indicate right on the TA the need for a prepayment (a separate voucher is no longer necessary). Please see the new TA form and the new step by step Travel Authorization instructions for additional information regarding these two new changes!

ESSENTIAL PURCHASE POLICY UPDATE FROM EXECUTIVE VP MARK ROZEWSKI - In March 2009 procedures were established to determine essential university purchases and/or expenditures. Purchase requisitions and direct pay vouchers, regardless of cost, required the review/approval of the President, Vice President or designee. EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2016, essential purchases and/or expenditures involving purchase requisitions and direct pay vouchers will require approval of the President, Vice President or designee only when the cost is $5,000 and above. Approvers for each division are listed in Appendix A of the policy.

Note: Above essential approval process does not apply to grants, student activity or bond funds. Click here to view entire announcement.

UNIVERSITY P-CARD - SCSU has established a Procurement Card (P-Card) program designed to provide a cost effective manner in securing low cost goods. The P-Card eliminates the need for a purchase requisition, purchase order and/or voucher for these low cost purchases. In addition, the P-Card provides faculty and staff a convenient way to pay for travel related expenses such as registration and lodging without the use of personal funds. For more information on the P-Card program click here. You may also contact Robin Kenefick at ext. 25266 or at to get your P-Card today!

W-9 REQUIREMENT - All vendors must have an IRS W-9 form on file. For a new vendor to be established in Banner, the University must first receive a completed W-9 from the vendor. Please have the vendor send the W-9 directly to Accounts Payable or have them fax it to our secure fax at (203) 392-9990.

  • This form is used to collect accurate taxpayer identification information such as the vendor name, address and status (sole proprietor, corporation, etc) It will also provide the employer FEIN or, in the case of a sole proprietorship, the vendor's Social Security number. Accounts Payable will issue all new vendors a Banner ID number.
  • The information provided on the W-9 form is also used to report qualifying payments to the IRS via a 1099 form.
  • The W-9 is required only once unless the vendor's taxpayer information changes (e.g. name or vendor status, etc) and will be maintained on file in the Accounts Payable Office. To inquire whether the University already has a W-9 on file, please contact the Accounts Payable Office at x27373.
  • Please note that as we clean up our vendor files, we may be requesting W-9's for vendors that previously have been paid by SCSU but have no W-9 on file. The information on this form is extremely sensitive. Have the vendor send directly to AP. Do not make copies of W-9 forms for your records.