Energy Saving Tips
Here are some simple tasks that make energy sense at Southern:
- Securely latch your windows and close your drapes, blinds or shades to save on heating.
- Turn down departmental refrigerators to the lowest practical setting.
- After following normal shutdown procedures, turn off your computer, especially the monitor. If you are away for more than a day, shut off the power bar - this saves energy and protects your equipment against power surge.
- Shut off scanners, printers and copiers.
- Unplug your transformer blocks (the square cubes in the electric lines of phone chargers and other appliances) - they consume energy even when not in use.
- Unplug other electrical appliances if you are to be away for more than a couple of days.
- Turn off the lights before you leave.