Frequent Questions

Southern Connecticut State University has partnered with Higher One to offer faster delivery of refunds to students. Higher One will help bring this method for receiving refunds via the Owl Choice Card Debit MasterCard. It's natural that you may have some questions. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the all-new Owl Choice Card and this new refund process.

How are refunds from Southern delivered to students?

Refunds are delivered via the option selected when activating the Owl Choice Card. Activate your refund preference and make your refund selection online by visiting Once your refund preference is selected, funds are sent from SCSU to Higher One who then disburses the refunds according to your selection. If you want the fastest access to your money, simply choose to have your refunds deposited directly into your OneAccount-a fully functioning FDIC Insured checking account. (Please note: In order to receive a refund, you must SELECT YOUR REFUND PREFERENCE as soon as your card arrives in the mail.)

 How do I get my Owl Choice Card?

Southern students, who are matriculated, both undergraduate and graduate, full time and part time, will receive a Owl Choice Card from Higher One in the mail at their primary address on file with SCSU. Students who previously selected a direct deposit refund preference through eBill Payment Suite (eRefund) and received a refund during the past year will continue to receive their refunds through their existing refund preference defined in their eBill Payment Suite. (Click here for information on changing your eBill eRefund account.)

I don't think I will ever get a refund. Why is it important to select a refund preference?

Although you might not currently expect a refund from Southern, we may have a refund for you in the future. After all, it may be necessary to drop a class, a class may be canceled or you may simply receive a scholarship or assistance you were not anticipating. Selecting your preferred method to receive refunds from SCSU ensures you'll always receive your refunds in a timely manner.

What if I already receive a direct deposit refund?

Students who previously selected a direct deposit refund preference through eBill Payment Suite (eRefund) and received a refund during the past year will continue to receive their refunds through their existing refund preference defined in their eBill Payment Suite. These students will not receive an Owl Choice Card at this time.

What are my options for receiving Financial Aid or other refunds?

Easy Refund deposit to the OneAccount, a no monthly fee checking account (refunds available the day SCSU releases them to Higher One).

Transfer to another account (ACH) (refunds available in 2-3 business days).

Receive a paper check (refunds available in 5-7 business days).

What exactly is the OneAccount?

The OneAccount is a fully functioning FDIC Insured checking account with no minimum balance and no monthly fees. Selecting the OneAccount allows you to access your refunds quicker and easier than ever before and offers a world of
great benefits such as:

FREE Internet banking features

The ability to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard is accepted.

You may also withdraw cash with no fees at Higher One ATMs located on or around campus.

What are the advantages of having my refunds deposited directly to my OneAccount?

Depositing your refund to the OneAccount and selecting an Easy Refund is the quickest way to gain access to your refund money.

The Owl Choice Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD. However you can use it for purchases at all participating merchants that accept Debit MasterCard, get cash at ATMs, pay bills and more.

Parents and friends can easily send you money online with a simple email and a linked bank account.

How will I know when my Financial Aid or other refund has been direct deposited to my OneAccount?

Higher One will send an email to the address you entered during activation when your refund has been deposited to your OneAccount. Additionally, you can view the details of your OneAccount by accessing your statement online at or by signing up to receive text messages sent directly to your cell phone with Mobile Alerts.

Can I have my refund deposited to another bank account?

Yes. You may have your refund deposited to the bank of your choice. In order to have your refund deposited to your bank, select your refund preference as soon as you receive the card by visiting During the activation process, select ACH Transfer to other bank for your refund preference and simply complete, print, and send the required third party form to the designated address. The form will be available online during the activation process.

Why is the MasterCard Brand Mark on my new Owl Choice Card?

The Owl Choice Card can be used to make purchases wherever Debit MasterCard is accepted. It is important to note that the Owl Choice Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD, but rather a DEBIT CARD backed by the purchasing power of the MasterCard network.

What if I already had an eRefund account in the eBill Payment Suite?

If you previously set up an eRefund account to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account, in the eBill Payment Suite, you don't have to do anything. Your student account refunds will continue to be directly deposited into the bank account you specified as your eRefund account. Further, if you received an eRefund within the last year you will not automatically receive the Owl Choice Card. You can continue to have your student account refunds deposited to your previously designated bank account and are not required to make any changes.

If you previously received an eRefund and would like to change where your refund is deposited, please click here to learn more about Changing Your eBill eRefund Account.

Do I need to activate the Owl Choice Card, I already had an eRefund account set up?

If you have an active eRefund account selected in the eBill Payment Suite you don't need to activate your Owl Choice Card. You most likely received the Owl Choice Card because you did not receive a refund within the last year.

You should ensure your eRefund account is still active in the eBill Payment Suite. If your eRefund account is not longer active or is incorrect, you will need to follow the "Changing Your eBill eRefund Account" process.

To check your eRefund account, log in to eBill Payment Suite, review your Saved Payment Methods and look for a bank account that has "Yes" under the "Use for Refunds" column. 

What if I have additional questions?

Answers to additional questions along with an activation demo can be found by visiting Additionally, Higher One offers easy answers to your questions with EasyHelp.