Liberal Education Program - Tier 1
In the first tier, small classes will help you develop the skills you need to succeed in college-level courses. These classes will also introduce you to areas of knowledge and discussions of values. Your Tier 1 foundations will prepare you to have a rich experience and to perform to high standards in the rest of your university education.
As you progress from Tier 1 into Tiers 2 and 3, your liberal education will continue to build on and strengthen these skills. Tier 1 courses fall into the following categories:
- Critical Thinking (must be taken prior to advancing to Tier 2)
- Freshman Year Experience (INQ)
- Multilingual Communication
- Quantitative Reasoning (mathematics): may be a prerequisite for certain Tier 2 courses
- Technological Fluency: may be taken in the freshman or sophomore year
- Written Communication (English): is a co-requisite for Tier 2 courses
All students will take at least one course in each of these areas. Your adviser will be able to help you choose which courses will work best for you.