Main Content

Name Changes

Students - Name Change
If you are a student and are not employed with the University, please fill out a Change of Name form and attach the court documentation indicating the name change is required (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.)

Students - Social Security Number Change
Official documentation of a change in Social Security Number must be presented (i.e. your new Social Security card along with a picture ID). 

Name Change - Employees
If you are an employee (faculty, staff, or student) federal regulations require employers to validate that the employee's name on record exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's social security card to ensure proper tax reporting.  Thus, in order to reflect your name change on your personnel and payroll records, you must present your social security card which reflects your new name to the Payroll Office in the Wintergreen building.

If you have not requested a change of name with the Social Security Administration, please apply for a new card with the nearest Social Security Administration Office.  (Note: You will need to bring an original legal document reflecting your new name to support your request for the name change.  Examples of accepted legal documents include a birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree, etc.)  Once you receive your new Social Security card, please bring it to the appropriate office. 

This site is managed by the Registrar's Office.
Southern Connecticut State University
Revised: 4/12/13