SCSU Faculty Scholar Award
This annual award recognizes scholarly and creative work of exceptional merit by a full-time member of the SCSU faculty.
Who is Eligible
The nominated work must be a product, such as a book, article, invention, work of art or artistic performance. It must have appeared within the past five years and must have won recognition by scholars and/or critics outside the ConnSCU system.
What the Winner Receives
A cash prize of $2,500 and a commemorative plaque accompany the award.
How to Apply
Click here for the Faculty Scholar Award application. Send applications to the chair of the Faculty Scholar Award Committee. The Faculty Scholar Award Committee is elected by faculty referendum, and a new chair is elected annually. All nominations must be accompanied by an application packet containing an information sheet with the following items:
- name of the applicant;
- name or title of the work put forth for evaluation;
- complete bibliographic information or production data (date, place, agency, etc.);
- signature of the applicant, granting permission to proceed with the evaluation as described above;
- The nominee's curriculum vitae.
- One copy of the item to be evaluated or photographs and/or videotapes of works of art and performance pieces.
- Copies of published and unpublished reviews, articles and letters, evaluations and other commentary pertaining to the work under consideration, accompanied by a listing of all such materials (max. 12 items).
- A one-page summary description and appraisal of the work written by the nominee or
Applications are evaluated by the Faculty Scholar Award Committee according to the following criteria: 1) the intellectual and/or artistic merit of the endeavor; 2) the impact made by the work upon its field of study; 3) the degree to which the work is innovative in content, approach and/or methodology; 4) the work's scholarly or creative integrity; and 5) the social significance of the enterprise.
When to Apply
The deadline is Monday, November 3, 2014 by 3 p.m. The award recipient will be named during the 2014-2015 academic year and will be presented at the President's Annual Celebration of Excellence event.
Stephen Amerman, History
Elliott Horch, Physics
Christine Petto, History
Brian Johnson, English
Paul R. Petrie, English
Vivian Shipley, English, and Leon Yacher, Geography
Mia Brownell, Art
Mark Kuss, Music
Vivian Shipley, English
Michael Vena, Foreign Languages
James F. Rhodes, English
Tim Parrish, English, and Hugh Davis, History
Louise Spear-Swerling, Special Education
David Pettigrew, Philosophy, and Vivan Shipley, English
For more information:
Dr. Rex Gilliland
Chair, Faculty Scholar Award Committee
Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent Street New Haven, CT 06515
Engleman Hall D 215
Telephone: (203) 392-6783