The Purpose of Tutorials
Because of the importance of establishing a solid foundation for advanced study, most tutorials focus on introductory-level courses. However, students with questions about more advanced courses also are welcome to use our services. Sessions in the Campus Tutorial Center are informal. Tutors will meet with you to answer your questions, or together you may review course material in order to reinforce, clarify, or supplement your textbook reading and classroom notes.
The tutorials do not substitute for classroom attendance or for consultation with your instructor. Additionally, tutors are not merely a source of quick answers to homework assignments. Rather, through your active participation, you will find that over time, the combination of classroom instruction, instructor consultation, and tutoring session forges a solid system for learning
Our goal is to help you become an independent, successful, self-directed student. To achieve this goal, tutorials have the following functions:
- To help students identify the important features of course material.
- To help students develop strategies for learning.
- To support students with fundamental information that is assumed by course objectives.
- To provide supplemental help that is specific to the student's needs and expectations.
- To serve as a forum for questions and answers.