Residence Hall Director Position Description
POSITION TITLE: Residence Hall Director
RANK: Administrator II
DEPARTMENT: Residence Life
SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Director of Residence Life
This is a full-time, twelve-month, live-in position. Responsible for supervision of undergraduate Community Coordinators/Advisor and Student Desk Staff, coordination and development of a residence hall community, facilitation of student development, response to student concerns, administrative and facility management, and participation in department initiatives and campus life. The position requires an ability to promote student academic success; provide leadership for positively managing a diverse student community; and applying student development responses to residence hall community development, student concerns, staff supervision, student organization advising, educational & social programming.
- Provides direct supervision and evaluation of Community Coordinators/Advisors, Student Desk Staff, and Summer Conference Staff including assisting with the recruitment, selection, placement and training of undergraduate Residence Hall Staff.
- Provides leadership for the development and maintenance of positive residence hall communities through application of student development and learning practices.
Provides leadership for the development, implementation, and evaluation of residence hall educational and social programming.
- Provides appropriate response to student concerns and behaviors including crisis situations, behavioral concerns and student conflicts including adjudicating University policy violations.
- Advises, confers, and offers appropriate referrals for students who exhibit academic and personal concerns.
- Provides regular and timely support for the residence hall council by regularly attending meetings, hall programs, and maintaining regular contact with officers, and on going training for leaders and members.
- Supervises building opening and closing at the beginning and ending of each academic year, scheduled break periods, and summer conferences.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of all keys, equipment, supplies, and furniture within the residence hall.
- Requests maintenance and custodial repairs and insure their completion in a timely manner.
- Prepares all required reports, records and evaluations promptly and accurately as assigned.
- Establish and maintain a positive working and collaborative relationship with Residence Life central office staff, custodial & facilities staff, and staff from other offices and departments within the Division of Student Affairs and the University.
- Regularly participate in campus events including speakers, programs, and late night and weekend campus events.
- Participate in rotation of on-call responsibilities for the Office of Residence Life.
- Complete other assignments and duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life or his/her designee.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities related to these enumerated above which do not alter the basic level of responsibility of the position.
A bachelor's degree is required; a master's degree in Student Personnel, Student Affairs, or Higher Education is preferred. Previous successful experiences supervising university residence hall undergraduate staff is required. Experience developing residence hall communities, providing educational and personal support for students, responding to student concerns and behaviors, advising student organizations, facility and administrative management, and participation in department initiatives and campus life is preferred. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication, organization, and problem solving skills. Individuals who are able to work in a continuously changing organization and are highly motivated are best suited for this position. These qualifications may be waived for individuals with appropriate alternate experience.
Please mail a cover letter, resume and 3 references to:
The Department of Residence Life
c/o Lekeisha Woods
501 Crescent Street
New Haven, CT 06515