welcome to counseling services
If you are experiencing a life threatening emergency, please bypass this page and
contact 911 or go to your local emergency department immediately.
2015 Fresh Check Day:
MONDAY APRIL 20 | 12-3PM | ACADEMIC QUAD
Rain Location: Student Center Ballroom
Info: Come to SCSU’s 2nd annual Fresh Check Day for engaging interactive booths, a DJ and live performances, great prizes, and FREE food!
If you are interested in volunteering for this event, please contact Denise Zack: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out last years event!!! Fresh Check SCSU 2014
Fresh Check Day is the signature program of The Jordan Porco Foundation (JPF). JPF works closely with colleges to plan and fund Fresh Check Day in an effort to bring awareness of mental health resources and coping strategies to college campuses. It is a celebratory fair-like event that includes:
- Interactive expo booths
- Free food
- Exciting prizes and giveaways
University Counseling Services offers a wide variety of resources to help students adjust to life on campus. Our primary purpose is to provide psychological support as students pursue academic and personal goals and to enhance the quality of their educational experience at Southern Connecticut State University.
Join us in welcoming the new Director of University Counseling Services, Dr. Jeffrey S. VanLone. Dr. VanLone joins us from Hobart and Williams Smith Colleges in upstate New York. He obtained his doctoral degree from West Virginia University in Counseling Psychology and brings with him over fifteen years experience in higher education administration and counseling services. We are excited to welcome him not only to the Counseling Services team, but to the Southern CT State University family! Stop by to say welcome!
Like us on Facebook
Monday - Friday
A counselor is on call everyday for walk-in crises and phone consultations.
Here is a quick reference to help you use our website.
- Emergency Services: Quick access to critical resources in the event of a life threatening emergency
- Individual and Group Counseling: Gives an explanation of how these services work in our center
- Appointments and Referrals: Explains how to set up an appointment and how to refer someone you are concerned about.
- Programming and Outreach: Gives a snapshot of the different types of workshops and programming we provide on campus - don't see a program you like - just ask and we may be able to create one for your organization or group!
- Self Help Resources: A great place to find all sorts of information about mental health issues, self care, online support and ways to manage the stress of college life - Check it out!
- Meet the Staff: Introduces you to our staff and tells you a little bit about who they are and their clincial practice
- Forms: Download and fill these out when you make an appointment. Be sure to bring them with you to your first appointment!