Policies & Procedures
Eligibility & Membership Fees
- Current SCSU students, Faculty & Staff are eligible to purchase a membership.
- Students: $60 per semester; Faculty and Staff: $100 per semester or $225 per year (hoot loot only).
- Hoot Loot is the only form of payment accepted; no cash, credit cards, or checks.
- Membership fees are non-refundable except for documented medical reasons.
Application/HOW TO JOIN
Students: Click here to visit the student membership page.
Faculty/Staff: Click here to visit the faculty/staff membership page.
- Members must present a valid SCSU ID to apply for, enter, and use the facilities.
- Access into the fitness center ends 30 minutes before closing. We ask members to be out of the facility by the designated closing time!
- The SCSU Fitness Center reserves the right to reduce hours during breaks, final exams, between academic semesters, and during the summer. The SCSU Fitness Center may temporarily close each semester for maintenance purposes. SCSU Fitness Center reserves the right to close due to weather and on public and University holidays and will be held harmless should the facility be unavailable for use at this time, or due to damage by fire, acts of God, catastrophe, accident, or other reasons beyond the control of Southern Connecticut State University.
- In the event of an emergency within the Fitness Center, notify a staff member immediately, and follow the staff member's instructions.
- If you have an injury or adverse reaction to exercise, please alert the staff so they may contact emergency services to assist you. Staff will call University Police or 9-1-1 in case of any emergency.
- If a member is involved in a medical incident or if the staff determine a member is at 'increased risk' from a health screening or fitness test, that member's Fitness Center privileges may be suspended until the member provides a documented medical clearance to the Assistant Director, Fitness Center. Any health information collected by staff will be treated as confidential and will be kept private to the extent the law allows.
- SCSU student employees provide primary supervision for the facility and may or may not be CPR certified. All staff act with the full authority of the Assistant Director.
- Harassment or disregard of the directions provided by the staff may result in immediate removal from the facility and may result in additional disciplinary action.
Equipment Orientation Policy
- Participation in orientation sessions are strongly recommended and will review proper equipment setup and operation as well as techniques members can use to have a safe workout. Sessions will be offered on a regular basis at no additional cost. See staff to sign up for an orientation or coaching session.
We recommend lifting with a partner whose strength is similar to yours; if without a partner avoid lifting weights over or above the face; instead use the selectorized equipment.
- We offer free equipment orientations that teach you how to operate equipment and techniques for a safe workout. See staff to schedule an appointment after you join.
- No Olympic lifting is allowed.
- Do not remove weighted bars from their respective racks. All lifts must be done within the storage rack.
- DO NOT DROP WEIGHTS OR ALLOW MACHINE PLATES TO SLAM DOWN.
- Weight collars, pins, clips & Smith machine safety hooks MUST be used.
- Re-rack all weights/plates to their designated storage areas as labeled.
- Keep benches out of walkway. Decline bench & Preacher Curl may not be moved.
- Fitness Staff are not permitted to spot patrons.
- Share equipment and allow others to use your machine when doing multiple sets.
- Equipment may be available for check out with your hoot loot card for use in designated areas of the facility. See staff for a list of equipment and restrictions.
- Members must clean equipment by spraying a paper towel with the cleaning solution provided in spray bottles throughout the facility and wiping down machines and benches.
- We recommend using the safety clip located on the left of all treadmill consoles.
- Report equipment failures to the fitness staff.
- There is a 30 minute time limit on individual cardiovascular machines during busy times or when someone is waiting.
Please click here for our dress code policy. We strictly enforce our dress code to prevent disease transmission. Anyone not following the dress code will be asked to change or be asked to leave .
- Only UNALTERED T-SHIRTS and sleeveless shirts which cover the entire stomach, chest and back are allowed. (NO STRAPPY TANK TOPS, RACER BACK TANKS OR BRA TOPS). Members may not wear tops with gaping arm holes and should not cut shirts off the shoulder. Sweats, modest shorts and similar items are considered appropriate attire. Athletic shoes must be worn at all times. No earrings larger than a quarter may be worn and necklaces must remain underneath your t-shirt. Anyone in violation of our dress code policy may be asked to leave. Repeat offenders may lose all membership privileges.
- SANDALS, FLIP FLOPS, BOOTS, BLACK-SOLED SHOES, JEANS, AND ANY PANTS WITH BUTTONS OR HARDWARE (ZIPPERS/RIVETS) AND SKIRTS ARE PROHIBITED.
Dress Code Explained:
- Shirts should cover full chest & back to prevent MRSA, ringworm, etc. from being passed from skin to pad/mat contact (even though you should clean your machines after use, unfortunately not everyone does!).
- Altered shirts contribute to excessive sweat & moisture which can damage equipment.
- Modest dress prevents anyone from being offended by what others are wearing (or not wearing)
- Proper athletic shoes protect feet and protect floors.
- Small jewelry prevents injury (large hoops and chains can get caught on handles etc.) and buttons/rivets can damage equipment and are thus prohibited.
- Skirt material can get caught in machines increasing the potential for injury.
- CELL PHONES: no talking, texting, taking videos or pictures in the Fitness Center (including locker rooms). Please limit to music and exercise application use only.
- WATER ONLY- No gum chewing, food, or other drinks are allowed.
- Personal trainers not hired or authorized by the Assistant Director Student Center, Fitness Center may not train clients within the SCSU Fitness Center. If found to be doing so, the trainer & client will lose membership privileges.
- No smoking, drugs or alcohol are permitted and members may not use equipment while under their influence.
- No loud &/or abusive language is permitted.
Failure to adhere to policies or rules and regulations as stated above and in the University handbook may result in membership termination and possible judicial procedures.
Locker Room Policy
- Lockers may ONLY be used during your workout- you may not drop off items or leave them behind.
- All belongings must be placed in a locker; no personal items may be left in the exercise areas or held by staff.
- We strongly recommend using a lock to prevent theft. Ask staff if any locker or lock rental programs are available.
- Any personal locks left on lockers at closing will be cut off and contents placed in the lost & found.
- Any items left in the showers will be discarded at the end of the day.
Group Exercise Class (CLICK HERE FOR SCHEDULE)
- Participants must sign up at front desk to reserve their space in all classes, no more than 15 minutes before class.
- No admittance is allowed into classes more than five minutes after the class begins.
- Classes may be canceled or altered without notice. We will post changes to our social media accounts and front desk.
- Cycling class participants must bring water in a closed, plastic container into class. No water =no class!
- Participants should arrive 5-10 minutes before scheduled starting time for instruction on proper bike setup.
- See fitness center for most current guest policies
- ClickHERE for a printable view of the policies.