university POLICY FOR MILITARY ACTIVATED STUDENTS
*This policy was adopted during the 1990-91 Gulf War.
SCSU recognizes and appreciates the important contributions made in service to our
country by our young men and women. In support of these students, SCSU has developed
procedures to provide each activated student with maximum flexibility.
Southern students who are ordered to Active Duty face the following possibilities:
- They may have to reduce their credit load but can stay in school (100% refund of tuition, books, and fees for dropped courses).
- They may be gone for a short period of time and be able to return (student and professor decide best course of action).
- They may be activated for longer periods of time and be unable to finish the semester (100% refund of tuition, books, and fees).
- They may be activated late in the semester, in which case we encourage professors to consider the grade the student has earned at that point or incompletes or total withdrawal (with 100% refund).
The bottom line is that we want to do what's in our students' best interest. Our policy
is to provide activated students with a 100% refund of tuition, fees, and books in
consideration of the options stated in #1-4.
Often there is little time between the student's receipt of activation orders and their reporting date. They may not be able to return to campus. As we determine each student's situation, I ask that we allow them every consideration.
In most cases our activated student's will contact me. If they talk with you in class please:
- Refer them to me at the Veterans Office, Engleman Hall B018; Tel. (203) 392-6822; Fax (203) 392-6813; E-mail email@example.com.
- Send me the student's name, student ID number.
If a withdrawal does become necessary, I will follow through with the appropriate
offices, and instructors will be notified.
Jack Mordente, Office of Veterans Affairs