Terrorism is the unlawful use of force or violence against people or property to intimidate or coerce a government or its citizens to further certain political or social objectives. It is generally categorized into two types -- domestic and international. Terrorist acts against a country or citizens can occur anywhere in the world.
Individual and Group Safety Information
The following are a few safety recommendations in dealing with potential terrorist acts:
- Be aware of your environment and surroundings.
- Become familiar with the color-coded terror alert system, which includes five levels.
- Know your emergency exit locations.
- If you see a suspicious individual or situation, do not be confrontational.
- Become familiar with the university's emergency procedures.
- Stay calm.
- Never enter a building that has been damaged by fire, explosion or smoke.
- Move a safe distance away from the scene of any emergency incident.
- Notify the program manager responsible for animal safety precautions within any animal-based university research labs. The program manager is responsible for ensuring the continuity of this research and academic programming.
to download these instructions
Click here to download a printable PDF document containing these guidelines.