The biology faculty maintain active research programs in a wide range of areas within the Biological Sciences. The research interests of the biology faculty members may be accessed from the Faculty link to the left.
For opportunities to work with a biology faculty member and participate in a research project, please contact individual faculty members.
Research projects may be undertaken for credit, or may receive funding through grants organizations like Sigma Xi, Council on Undergraduate Research, American Society for Microbiology, and others. Other opportunities may exist, as well, so check with individual faculty members.
Undergraduate students may get credit for research by enrolling in the following courses (with departmental permission):
- BIO 495 Departmental Honors
- BIO 499 Independent Study and Research
Undergraduate students may get credit for research outside the SCSU Biology Department for credit by enrolling in the following course (with departmental permission):
BIO 497 In-Service Training in Biology
Many other off-campus summer research opportunities for SCSU undergraduates are available:
(All of these programs include a stipend, usually provide housing, vary in length, and have specific requirements and deadlines.)
- Yale BioSTEP (Biomedical Science Training and Enrichment Program)
- The Summer Medical & Dental Education Program for College Freshman & Sophomores (Yale also participates in this program)
- The WebGURU website is a great starting place to learn about Undergraduate Research
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates through the Natl. Science Foundation
- U.Conn Undergraduate Summer Research Internship Program in Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates site in Physiology and Neurobiology at the University of Connecticut
- U.Conn Med School, College Summer Fellowship Program
- AAMC GREAT Summer UG Research programs
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Watson School of Biological Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- Summer Scholars Program
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Hughes Summer Outreach Program at Wesleyan University, CT
- Germany (DAAD) Research Internships in Science and Engineering (RISE) Summer Research Program
- The Jackson Laboratory Summer Student Program
- Tufts University: Department of BiologyREU Program
- NIH Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research
- CUNY-Hunter Summer Research Program
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- NYU School of Medicine (Sackler Institute) Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- U.S. Dept. of Energy- Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships
This is not a complete list. We chose many of these opportunities for this list because they are conveniently located on the East Coast.