Transfer Students

Apply Now

Apply now using The Common App or check the status of your application. Application review for Fall 2016 Transfers will begin in February.

Fall 2016

Approximately 40% of Southern’s student body consists of Transfer Students who already had some level of higher education experience prior to attending Southern. As a university, we are dedicated to making this transition a positive experience. Understanding the policies regarding admission and the transferring of credits is the first step. Please review the information below.

Admissions Requirements

Whether you have 3, 12, or 90 credits from an accredited college or university, admission to Southern is based on the following requirements:

For previous Southern students who left the university with a GPA lower than a 2.0 -  please see the options below.  You will need to obtain a 2.0 at Southern to be reconsidered for admission as a matriculated student.

Application Requirements

Students who once attended Southern as a matriculated student, left the university in good standing, and did not complete 12 credits at another institution during their leave will need to submit a readmission form to the Registrar’s Office.
For all new applicants, and those who left Southern and completed 12 or more credits elsewhere,  please follow the Transfer application instructions here:

Application Fee Waiver: A waiver of the admission application fee is authorized for any financially needy student who completes and submits to the admission office the Transfer Application Fee Waiver form.

These remaining items must be submitted to the Office of Admissions, 131 Farnham Avenue, New Haven, CT 06515:

Please note that we review applications on a rolling basis, which means there is no set deadline to apply.

Application Process

Transfer Credits

Transfer Equivalency (CT Colleges Only)

If you are transferring from an accredited institution within CT, you may be able to find out how your courses transfer before applying. Visit the Transfer Articulation Request to look through our database of colleges and universities. If your school is listed, you will be able to search the courses you have taken and see how they may transfer.

Advanced Standing

If you are interested in receiving credit for high school AP exams, please review this link: Advanced Placement. Official score reports must be sent to Undergraduate Admissions.

To learn about Southern’s CLEP policy, please review this link: CLEP.

If you earned college credits while in high school through an Early College Experience program, please remember to submit official college transcripts for those credits earned.

Frequently Asked Questions

Visit Transfer Students - Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any questions not covered in the FAQ, please don't hesitate to contact the Admissions Office.