First-Year Student Summer Orientation
Fall 2018 First-Year Students
Click here to view the Orientation Program book and schedule.
Orientation for First-Year Students (Freshmen) is designed to assist incoming students as they acclimate to college life at Southern, learn about the number of resources that support student success and receive academic advisement and the fall course schedule. Students and family members will have an opportunity to meet and interact with faculty, staff and most importantly, current Southern students, as well as other new students and parents. Each fun-filled session is informative, helpful and full of Southern spirit!
New Student ORIENTATIOn Registration Update
Students who have not attended a June orientation session are required to attend the Mid-Summer Orientation Session scheduled for July 25th from 8am- 6pm. During this session, students will receive their fall 2018 course schedule, meet with faculty, and learn about valuable resources that support students in finding success. Registration for the Mid-Summer Session will be through Next Steps located in the Southern Admissions Portal.
Orientation for First-Year Students*
Session I Tuesday, June 12th- Wednesday, June 13th
Session II Monday, June 18th- Tuesday, June 19th
Session III Thursday, June 21st - Friday, June 22nd
Session IV Monday, June 25th- Tuesday, June 26th
Session V Thursday, June 28th- Friday, June 29th
Mid-Summer Session, July 25th, 8:45am- 5:00pm*
As you prepare to select a session, please note the following:
- Orientation is mandatory for all first-year students and students. The program begins at 8am on the first day and concludes at 3pm on the 2nd day. All programs are required with the exception of some social activities.
- Students are expected to stay overnight in our newest Residence Hall.
- There is not an additional cost for student or parent/family orientation.
- Parent/Family Orientation is on the first day of each session from 8am until approximately 4pm.
- Students are pre-registered for their Fall 2018 courses and will receive their schedule on the second day of their orientation session.
- *The Mid-Summer Session is a one-day experience and does not include an overnight stay. Additional information including a detailed schedule will be available on this web page in early July.
- Click here for some of the most frequently asked questions.