Associate Vice President for Student Affairs
Search #: S17-035
Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) seeks a passionate, innovative, authentic leader to serve as Associate Vice President for Student Affairs. SCSU is a student-centered university providing exemplary undergraduate and graduate education to approximately 10,000 students. Founded as New Haven Normal School in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university committed to excellence, social justice, access, and engagement. One of four universities in the 17-member Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System, the University is located in New Haven, a culturally vibrant environment with easy access to New York City and Boston.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Student Affairs is a strategic leader with oversight for broad-based engagement and retention programs and services for students, working with key stakeholders to collaboratively create an environment in which students are engaged, persist, and thrive. The AVP will provide leadership for divisional initiatives to enhance the cultural awareness and competency of staff and students and create a more welcoming, just, and inclusive community. The AVP will also provide strategic leadership for the Division of Student Affairs to define and assess the impact of the co-curricular experience on student learning and development.
- A doctorate in higher education administration, college student personnel administration, counseling, or related field;
- Minimum of ten years in full-time, progressively responsible, leadership roles in higher education, preferably in student affairs;
- Deep knowledge of student development and learning theories, and currency in best practices and trends in higher education;
- Demonstrated commitment to creating a just and inclusive community, intercultural competency, and enthusiasm for working in an institution committed to social justice;
- Experience as an effective supervisor;
- Experience with budget development and management;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of constituencies;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills; and,
- Ability to thrive in a complex, dynamic environment.
- Experience developing and directing university programs and initiatives in student engagement, community development, diversity and inclusion, and/or underserved populations;
- Experience leading assessment efforts; and,
- Knowledge of student leadership development theories and practices.
- Partner with the Vice President and Associate Vice President/Dean of Students to provide leadership for the Division of Student Affairs. Serves in the Vice President’s absence on matters relating to the AVP’s areas of responsibility or as otherwise requested.
- Provides administrative and programmatic oversight to the following departments: University Access Programs, Student Involvement and Leadership Development, Multicultural Affairs, Adanti Student Center, and Lyman Performing Arts Center. Hires, supervises, and evaluates the leaders of these departments and supports the intentional professional growth and development of direct reports and their team members. Assumes broad responsibility for the strategic planning, fiscal management, and outcomes assessment of direct report departments.
- Provides strategic vision in support of a comprehensive and integrated student engagement program to enhance students’ sense of belonging at the university. Works with partners to identify and address needs of harder-to-engage populations of students (e.g., commuter students, international students, non-traditional students, distance learners).
- Provides leadership for initiatives that further Southern’s commitment to access and inclusion. Works collaboratively across campus to provide support and services for underserved populations of students to include undocumented students, first generation students, and students of color. Partners with Enrollment Management on initiatives related to the recruitment and retention of these populations.
- Leads the implementation of a comprehensive student leadership development program, helping to integrate, expand and diversify outreach and training to engage a larger proportion of the student body.
- Helps to develop an efficient and sustainable plan for event and conference management at the University to streamline processes, optimally utilize facilities, and maximize opportunities for revenue generation.
- Provides divisional leadership for departments to utilize data to make informed decisions, engage in process improvement, and assess the effectiveness and impact of their work.
For full consideration, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Nancy Chucta at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin on March 23, 2018, and the position will remain open until filled.
Southern Connecticut State University in an Affirmative Action/ Equal Employment Opportunity Employer