Disposing of Old Records

how do i dispose of my old records?

The Office of the Public Records Administrator (OPRA) for the State of Connecticut requires that official records be disposed of by shredding and that a certificate of destruction be retained by each state agency. However, whether records are deemed official or non-official, Records & Information Management recommends that they be shredded in a secure manner.

Currently, Shred-It, Inc. is the state-contracted vendor for shredding services. Please note that Phil Koslowski, University Records Specialist, is the only one authorized to contact Shred-It to arrange for records to be disposed of.

NOTE:  Before submitting a request to have records disposed of, please be sure to check the appropriate OPRA Records Retention Schedule to confirm that all records have reached the end of their required retention period.

How Do I Arrange to Have My Old Records Shredded?

When your area has records that need to be disposed of, please follow the steps below:

A. For Official Records:

  1. Complete an RC-108 Records Disposition Authorization form and submit it to your division's Assistant Records Management Liaison Officer (ARMLO). Your ARMLO will review, initial, and forward the completed form to Phil Koslowski, University Records Specialist and Records Management Liaison Officer (RMLO), at koslowskip1@southernct.edu.

  2. Upon receipt of the completed RC-108, Phil will review it for accuracy. If no changes are needed, she will sign and forward the form to OPRA.

  3. Once your RC-108 has been approved, Phil will contact you to arrange for the disposal of your records.

B. For Non-Official Records:

Depending on the amount of records you have, you may:

  1. Contact Phil Koslowski at x26205 to arrange to have one or more empty tote(s) delivered to your area. After the tote(s) have been filled, contact Phil again to arrange for on-site disposal.

  2. Bring your records to Phil Koslowski in the Wintergreen Building where they will be secured pending on-site disposal.

  3. Contact Robin Kenefick, Coordinator for Duplicating Services at x25266 to arrange to have your records secured pending on-site disposal. A tote dedicated to secure records disposal is maintained in the Duplicating area.

  4. Shred them with your office's shredder. 

C. Can't I just use SCSU Recycling to dispose of non-official records?

NO!  -  Official records or records that may contain sensitive and/or confidential information should ALWAYS be shredded.

For non-official records, Records & Information Management also recommends that they be shredded in a secure manner.

 For questions regarding SCSU Recycling, please contact:

Heather Stearns
University Recycling Coordinator
Phone: (203) 392-6931
Email:  recycling@southernct.edu